FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.
1627031

Cadillac STS V: Our 2006 Cadillac STS V is emiiting a beeping

Our 2006 Cadillac STS V is emiiting a beeping sound about every 10 minutes while sitting idle. Do you know what would be causing this condition?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 1 year ago.

FIXITMAN :

Hello, and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to help you. If I am not online when you are, please allow me time to return. Is the beeping coming from inside of the vehicle?

Customer:

It's hard to tell brcause you can hear it when you are sitting inside the car. I seems to be coming from the engine compartment

Customer:

I have driven the car for 10 miles while driving it is not beeping. Pulled it into the garage anit starts beeping again in about 2 minute intervals

FIXITMAN :

Is the vehicle equipped with an aftermarket alarm?

Customer:

No the car has a factory installed alarm system which was standard with the car. I activated the alarm from the key fob and this is not the same sound as the alarm and panic going off. The horn is not sounding(the beep) this is almost the same sound as a text message on a cell phone. The car also is equipped with an onstar system. Would it be worth while to have onstar run a diagnostic? I'm just afraid this will drain the battery. The car only has 10,000 miles on it and only gets driven occasionally. I drove it last night and it was fine then this AM went into the garage an noticed the beeping noise.

FIXITMAN :

One last question. Is this a rythmic sound? Like does it always happen in the same frequency?

Customer:

Yes. Same beep every 30 -45 seconds. Like I mentioned before.. it sounds like a cell phone beeping when a text message is being received.

FIXITMAN :

Does it ever make the noise without the engine running and just the ignition on?

Customer:

Yes it does. (beeps when turned off and when it is in the accessory mode, but not when it's running)

FIXITMAN :

Thank you. It sounds like a problem with the Onstar module. There is a recall for this module as it attempts to make calls on it's own when it fails. It will make this noise when it attempts to make the call. you might want to see if your vehicle is still covered under the recall.

Customer:

Thank you for your help. We purchased the extended warranty so even if the recall is still not in effect the warranty will cover it.

FIXITMAN, Master Technician
Experience: ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH.