Neal, Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

Cadillac CTS: I try to start my Caddy and it just clicks, but

I try to start my Caddy and it just clicks, but not like a bad battery or electrical problem. if you watch the pulleys the starter engages and then disengages as it bumps the engine a little at a time over and over till you let off the key. I have tested the relay and even swapped it, replaced the starter as I thought the bendix or solelnoid may have been the problem. new battery also. could it be the ignition switch? or maybe the ECM as I guess the ECM controls the starter? ive never seen this happen before and any help is appreciated......Hal

Hello I'm Neal and I am here to help resolve your issue. If I cannot help I will opt out and refer your question to another expert.

It should not be the ignition switch since the ecm is getting the signal, since you have ruled out the starter, it pretty much has to be the ecm that is the issue. It should be engaging the starter until the engine is running, it must be misinterpreting the input and it thinks the engine has started. Since it is trying to start I don't think it is getting a false signal and it must be in the ecm itself.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i can jump the relay and make it turn over just fine. i agree i bet the ecM is the problem. i will see what i can do tomarrow. though it will sometimes crank up normal and other times it just does that.

Definitely an odd one, jumping the relay would not rule it out as the ecm sends the signal to the relay.