Mazda Ed
Mazda Ed, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, Mazda Master Technician, GM and Ford factory trained. 15 years experience.

dealer brought out a new key for my 98 deville per vin and

dealer brought out a new key for my 98 deville per vin and measured it @ 4.75 KOHM. I found a 4.7 kohm resistor and wired it in under the dash .Still get starter disabled due to anti theft . Former owner had tried shorting it straight across .. he said wiggling the key would sometimes work before and after he did shorted it, it worked for a has now been sitting for some  months with no battery. Is there something I need to reset or reprogram? 

When I worked at the GM dealership the parts department could not tell which key it was based on VIN. They could find out the mechanical cut but not the resistor value. If the original key was lost there is a small machine that plugs in to the theft system and lets you try the resistances one at a time until you find the one that works.

Do you have the original key and can you measure that resistance?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

former owner built up the sides of the key insert with solder as they were worn down. no I can't measure it. Is this machine you mention a dealer only device?

I don't know if they make an aftermarket version, but every GM dealer should have one. You are looking for a VATS interrogator.