Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

where is the electronic brake traction control module located

where is the electronic brake traction control module located on a 1997 cadillac deville concours?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Ok, it is located in the trunk. you have to pull back some of the carpeting to access it:

image

There was a recall on this module. So before replacing it, call your local dealership or GM customer service and provide your VIN code to see if it has been replaced under the recall. If not, then this should be covered by the recall

Campaign Number, Case:
Defect Report:
Recall Initiator:
Dates:
Date Owner Notified:
Vehicles:
No. Vehicles Recalled:
Noncompliance:
Consequence:
Corrective Action:
GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
97V064000,
MFR
4/1/1996-4/15/1997
5/28/1997
1997 BUICK PARK AVENUE, 1997 CADILLAC DEVILLE, 1997 CADILLAC ELDORADO, 1997
CADILLAC SEVILLE
627640
THE ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE OR THE ELECTRONIC BRAKE AND
TRACTION CONTROL MODULE CAN CAUSE THE ANTILOCK BRAKE SYSTEM (ABS) TO
CYCLE DURING A NON-ABS BRAKE APPLICATION.
THIS CONDITION CAN RESULT IN AN INCREASE IN VEHICLE STOPPING DISTANCE
INCREASING THE RISK OF A VEHICLE CRASH.
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ELECTRONIC BRAKE CONTROL MODULE OR THE
ELECTRONIC BRAKE AND TRACTION CONTROL MODULE.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please be sure to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE to complete transaction or ask for more help by clicking REPLY TO EXPERT.

Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to to rate OK SERVICE, GOOD SERVICE OR EXCELLENT SERVICE , however you are not charged again. Thank you.

Please note the 1 to 2 faces(POOR AND BAD SERVICE) are a negative rating. Before choosing one of these, please reply first so that I can further help you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Eric,

Thank you for this information.

What do you think of this diagnostic that I recieved from the

dealership? I asked about the "recall" and they looked my vin number

up and told me that it was not on that was under recall? What do you think the problem could be/

George

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

Ok, you havent mentioned any symptoms, so we need to start there. Are there any symptoms beyond the warning light being on?

do you know what the fault codes are that they retreived?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

558 diagnosed had 5 codes for brake control module. 2 for internal module.Finally, it said needs to be replace EBTCM before any further diagnosis can be performed.

Symptoms:

Stability Reduced light comes after driving for about 15 minutes and stays on. shortly after that the car feels like I am pressing on the brake when I am not and the speed reduces for about thirty seconds and it reumes back to normal.

George

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.
HI,

Ok, this is 100% the EBTCM at fault. There are internal relays that fail and cause these issues. The only repair is replacement as these relays are not serviceable. Unfortunately for you, they are correct in the diagnosis that the EBTCM needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you so much!

At least I feel more confident now and informed.

George

Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

you are welcome and have a good rest of the evening!

Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.