Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs

Cadillac Deville: My 2001 abs, traction control & brake light

My 2001 abs, traction control & brake light remain on most of the time. Is it safe to drive with these lights on?
Hello, My name I Randall. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

did this problem happen after you did front brakes?

happen all at once>?

are you s aying 3 different lights? correct?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It happened all at once and front brakes were replaced about 3 weeks after lights began coming on. All 3 lights are lit up on dashboard.
Thanks. I have to check a couple things. back shortly. Please allow me a few minutes to check something

are the brakes working ok, pedal feels ok? stops ok, just lights on?

can you tell me , just to be sure, the brake lights at rear ofc ar work?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The brakes are working ok. perda feels ok, stops ok, just lights on. When I had the front brakes changed the service person stated it would probably be a good idea to change the rear. As far as I know they are working.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I was talking about the brake lights, the ones outside near trunk.

I know seems od as a question but,, i have a reason for asking if they work. I just want to confirm they do. LMk thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not certain as to whether they are working. There is no one available to tell me if they are working when I apply them. I will have to check when my husband returns. What are the possibilities?
Ok,all 3 lights means,

A problem has been detected with the ABS braking system

It could be the hydraulic module, the computer or as simple as a wheel speed sensor

The lights ill ALL come on if an ABS problem has been detected

I am thinking a wheel speed sensor at one wheel may have failed thus why the traction light

You do however MUST confirm the brake fluid is full in the master, if low some, that could trigger all the lights

Now,, the ONLY way to know whats wrong is to have trouble codes scanned by parts store or a shop. the codes will tell what the problem is

In the meantime? its safe to drive if brake sworking ok. Now.. I cant say 100% safe as when the lights are ON? the ABS is disabled so its how YOU look at this

You will not lose brakes, it will work like any other car or older car, just will NOT have the ABS feature till repaired

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is ABS (antibrake system) and how does it work?
Sorry but i would be here for hours typing up how the ABS works

Its the antilock brakes that are now in near ALl cars in the US

Its basicaally a computerized controlling of the brakes if you had to slam brakes on, or you started to slide bad on wet or snowly roads

The computer begins pulsing the brakes to help? avoid sliding out of control

Without them working? its 100% like any car/truck that has been around from the beginning without ABS brakes

It will brake normal and just fine. You just will not have the feature of the antilock brakes

Its soo complex I can only give highlights