jrloar, ASE Master Cert
Experience:  ASE Master Certification

1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham: Control Module..lite..jumper..relay

Customer Question

I have a 1993 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham,rear wheel drive. I have a repair shop and have diagnosed it to have a defective Central Control Module. The "pass key fault" lite stays on (most of the time), can jumper across the starter enable relay to start. Sometimes it will stay running,other times start and die out. Is there a way to bypass module? Part has been discontinued,located one but too $$.I've been told there is a way to bypass this module.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  jrloar replied 4 years ago.

Could be a broken wire in the ignition column/switch area...TROUBLE SHOOTING PASS-KEY II(R) 1. Check ignition key for cracked, dirty, or coated resistor pellet. Ensure ignition key is free from excess plastic around resistor pellet contacts. Check ignition key using Interrogator (J 35628). If key code window shows "E", replace key. Check key pellet sensing contacts in ignition lock cylinder by looking into key opening. If contacts are damaged or not Silver, replace lock cylinder. 2. Check instrument panel fuses No. 24 and 33. If PASS-Key II(R) system is intermittent, ensure connector to Central Control Module (CCM) is tight and terminals are clean. Also check CCM grounds. If theft deterrent relay must be replaced, check Yellow wire to starter solenoid for a short to ground. 3. To check contacts to key and wires in steering column, disconnect connector near base of steering column. Measure resistance back to key at this connector while turning and adjusting steering wheel. If there is a change or intermittent reading, replace lock cylinder and attached steering column wires. See Fig. 1.
Do the self test and write down and post the codes.
ENTERING & EXITING DIAGNOSTICS Using Heater & Air Conditioning Control Panel 1. The Heater and Air Conditioning (H-A/C) control panel is used to display all vehicle modules Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs). To enter diagnostic mode, simultaneously press OFF button and TEMP button on H-A/C control panel. H-A/C control panel will illuminate for 5 seconds, then display "-00". Press Fan Up/Down button to increase or decrease displayed system ("-01"=CCM, "-02"=HVAC, "-03"=SIR, "-04"=ABS/TCS). Select "-01" for CCM DTCs. 2. Press OUT TEMP button to display DTCs. While DTCs are being displayed, press fan up/down button to return display to system selected. If H-A/C control panel displays "--", H- A/C control is not receiving serial data because of a fault with the serial data line. If H-A/C control panel displays "00" after selecting "-01" (CCM DTCs), no codes are present. 3. If more than one code is present, codes will display beginning with the lowest current code to the highest current code, followed by the lowest history code, then the highest history code. Codes will cycle sequentially 16 seconds at a time until diagnostic mode is exited or ignition is turned off. To exit diagnostic mode, press any function button (except OFF button and either DEFOG button).
And click here to test the wires in the column and fix!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I posted this problem I explained that I had replaced the lock cylinder and key. Went through all disgnostics related. All I need to know is how to bypass the Central Control Module. That is all I need. If you can't answer that then I will try elsewhere.
Expert:  jrloar replied 4 years ago.
Expert:  jrloar replied 4 years ago.

This is the correct drawing you need. This starter inable relay is what you need to bypass. This will allow the car to start
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already done this. One more time, all I need is to know how to bypass the CCM located in trunk. If you can't answer this I will check elsewhere. THANK YOU
Expert:  jrloar replied 4 years ago.
That is how you bypass it! The CCM simply controls the starter enable relay. Its as simple as that........ However I think this is what you are asking?

Connect the full bypass as following:

• RED : Splice into CCM Connector C1, pin B9 (PNK)
  • BLK : Splice into CCM Connector C2 pin C1 (BLK/WHT) and cut and attach to Connector C2, pin D13 (YEL/BLK) on the vehicle side, not toward the CCM connector.
  • DRK GRN : Cut and attach on CCM Connector C1 pin B1 (DK BLUE) on the vehicle side, not toward the CCM connector.
  • YEL (or LT-GRN): Leave unconnected (if present)
  • BLU : Leave unconnected (if present)

Expert:  jrloar replied 4 years ago.
you can also view this video and it will give you another option...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
wiring colors and connectors don't match my vehicle. the picture shows bcm in dash, this is the ccm located in trunk. going to check elsewhere on internet.
Expert:  jrloar replied 4 years ago.
I can only give you what the books tell me. The connectors are universal...