David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

cadillac: oil pressure light..no codes when they check my car

Customer Question

My cadillac oil pressure light is on...there are no codes when they check my car. what do you think that is?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  David H replied 4 years ago.
That will usually be a failed oil pressure switch mounted on the oil filter housing.Internal engine oil pressure problems are rare on the northstar.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Shouldnt they check that prior to checking my sensor?

Expert:  David H replied 4 years ago.
The oil pressure switch and sensor are the same part.They will most likely need to replace the sensor.I would have them hook up an oil pressure test gauge to test actual oil pressure just to be on the safe side.The test gauge is hooked up to the port where the oil pressure sensor is removed.The oil pressure should be more then 5 psi at idle and more than 35 psi at 2000 rpm.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
They said my pressure is fine. it was hooked up to pegasus. Would a too small oil filter cause this problem?
Expert:  David H replied 4 years ago.
That great that the oil pressure is good.I have not seen an oil filter cause this problem for being to small.But I have seen the really cheap brand oil filters cause this type of problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate all the help you have given me, however the light came back on and went off 3 times today while I was coming to work. Should I still have the switch changed?
Expert:  David H replied 4 years ago.
Yes I would have the oil pressure switch replaced just to be on the safe side.