Bill
Bill, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  30 years of GM vehicle experience
50714430

What does service stability system warning on a Cadillac mean?

The stability system is basically an addition to your abs brake system. It operates by adding additional sensors such as a steering wheel position sensor and a yaw sensor and is designed to determine if the vehicle is losing directional control. It can apply braking to specific wheels in an attempt to correct if the vehicle is sliding or losing traction. If the stability system light is on, then the system is disabled for a failure. It can be disabled for several reasons. If the abs light is NOT on as well then it is likely not a wheel speed sensor failure. It can be a steering wheel position sensor or yaw sensor. It can also be disabled due to an engine control fault such as a misfire that will disable traction control. Do you have an abs light on or check engine light as well? If not, the most common cause is generally the steering wheel position sensor. However I would recommend having the system scanned for fault codes so at least we know exactly what part of the system the failure is in.

Read full interaction below »

What does "Service Stability System" warning message mean on the dashboard?

Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

The stability system is basically an addition to your abs brake system. It operates by adding additional sensors such as a steering wheel position sensor and a yaw sensor and is designed to determine if the vehicle is losing directional control. It can apply braking to specific wheels in an attempt to correct if the vehicle is sliding or losing traction. If the stability system light is on, then the system is disabled for a failure. It can be disabled for several reasons. If the abs light is NOT on as well then it is likely not a wheel speed sensor failure. It can be a steering wheel position sensor or yaw sensor. It can also be disabled due to an engine control fault such as a misfire that will disable traction control. Do you have an abs light on or check engine light as well? If not, the most common cause is generally the steering wheel position sensor. However I would recommend having the system scanned for fault codes so at least we know exactly what part of the system the failure is in.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know I need a front wheel bearing. Could that be the reason?
Expert:  Bill replied 4 years ago.

Yes it can. The wheel speed sensor is part of the front hub bearing assembly. If the wheel speed sensor signal is irratic or drops out, it will disable the stability system. Generally there will be an abs light on as well.