Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

1995 Cadillac Deville: starting issue..V..vehicle starts..starts fine

I have a starting issue with a 1995 Cadillac Deville 4.9 V-8. The vehicle starts fine and the starter sounds fine. Replaced the battery and checked connections. The problem is once the vehicle is driven...or idled for that matter for 5 to 10 minutes if you turn it off it will not start. No clicking at the starter, no security messages flashing on the dash (it says all systems check ok). Nothing. After it cools down 15 minutes it starts right up. I located the starter engage relay and replaced it but no difference. When the vehicle starts that relay clicks. When it doesn't the relay does nothing. Does this sound like the electrical portion of the ignition switch is at fault??
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 4 years ago.
I rather suspect a faulty starter solenoid. The large cylindrical solenoid attached to the starter is nothing more than a large coil of wire, which when energized magnetically pulls the drive into the flywheel gear and energizes the motor.

It's perfectly logical to imagine this long coil of wire with an intermittent open, which opens when it's hot, yet closes as it cools off. And it's something I've seen enough times that I wouldn't overlook it.

The definitive way to test it: see if you have power at the purple wire on the starter when the car is acting up. If you are getting power there, it needs a new starter. If it's not, then I'm happy to guide you through whatever the diagnosis is, but definitely start :-) at the starter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When it acted up there was no power at the purple wire thats why I checked the relay to see if that was not working properly, but it was so I figured before that...supplying power woul be the ignition switch.
Alright, let's start with a schematic so we can both be looking at the same thing.

Attachment: 2012-05-31_214127_95_deville.pdf

You say that relay isn't doing anything when it acts up. I'd be checking the circuits at that relay to see what's NOT happening when it acts up. You can see what happens as you turn it to START, and follow the schematic from there. I'm happy to explain it to you, but it sounds like you know what you're looking at and talking about. Just let me know if you need anything explained, or need further information.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Jerry,
So what I am seeing is the only thing that controls the starter enable relay is the ignition switch and if that were intermittantly going out that would be why the relay works when the vehicle starts and doesn't when it doesn't start???
Well, that's "basically" true, but as you can see, power has to travel through the crank fuse, through the park neutral switch, and to the relay. So, when it's acting up, I'd be curious to see whether that crank fuse has power on it (when attempting to crank), whether the power is making it through the park/neutral switch (see if moving the shifter or shifting to neutral makes any difference when it acts up).

Testing with a test light when the problem presents itself will point you in the correct direction. You could have a faulty PRNDL, a faulty fuse or terminal at the fuse, you may have a theft deterrent module that's not supplying ground for the relay coil..... a test light and this schematic will tell the tale when it acts up.

I don't suspect an ignition switch. I can count on one hand (minus a couple of fingers) the number of faulty ignition switches I've replaced in these cars..... and I've dealt with hundreds of no start concerns. Of everything presented here, if circuits are acting the way you say.... I'd be leaning toward the park/neutral switch, but they are expensive. Testing is definitely the order of the day.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi sorry for the delay. Earlier I did try moving the shifter to start in Neutral and again in park and it made no difference.
The test light will tell you everything you need to know.