Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

2001 cadillac sts engine overheating

2001 cadillac sts engine overheating
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Pete :

Hi,welcome to Just Answer.I will be happy to assist you with this question today.I will try and assist you as best as possible from here,feel free to ask any follow up questions to my info provided here.

Pete :

It sounds like you have covered some common components that can cause this concern.

The most common cause for this over heat condition on this vehicle is a leaking head gasket.What usually happens is the head gasket will leak exhaust gases and heat into the cooling system and cause the coolant to heat rapidly and over heat the vehicle.

Usually with this concern you wont see coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant or even excess smoke out of the exhaust.

What needs to be done here is to have the block tested with a block tester,this will sit on top of the coolant reservoir with the cap off of the reservoir,then blue fluid is put in the tester and the vehicle is run.If the fluid starts to bubble and turn green this indicates a faulty head gasket or cracked head.

This test can be done at any repair shop and you can also purchase this tester at a parts store to check yourself.

I recommend replacing both head gaskets at the same time so the repair wont have to be done in the future for the other side and I also recommend having the heads checked and tested for any cracks or warping by a machine shop before reinstalling them.

Labor for this repair can cost up to 24 hours and parts can be around $200.
This is the most common failure for this concern here.

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else with this question asked here.Thanks Pete!

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Luis,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,