Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

1998 cadillac deville: replaced water pump..water pump and gasket

replaced water pump and gasket for 1998 cadillac deville, and still have a leak. Is it common for the housing to leak?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Pete :

Hi,welcome to Just Answer.I will be happy to assist you with this question today.I will try and assist you as best as possible from here,feel free to ask any follow up questions to my info provided here.

Pete :

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Pete :

Is this leak coming from around the water pump or pump housing or is it noticed anywhere else on the vehicle?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
it appears to be leaking from the back side of the pump housing near the pully. I do not see the leak anywhere else.
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
O.k.,one common component to leak on this vehicle that I have seen and have had to replace several times before is the coolant crossover housing/manifold gaskets.

This manifold sits under the throttle body and crosses from one cylinder head to the other.If the gaskets are leaking and allowing coolant to leak past them then this can look to be the housing leaking as it runs down along the cylinder head.

I would inspect the crossover housing carefully (sometimes this takes a mirror and a flashlight to do) and see if coolant is found leaking out around where it attach's to the cylinder heads.

If it is found leaking here then the crossover needs removed and the gaskets replaced.

This is about an 8 to 10 hour repair job as wiring has to be moved out of the way as well as other components to gain access to the bolts that hold the crossover on to remove it.

Let me know if you need anything else with this question asked here.Thanks Pete!
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Hi Todd,

I'm just following up with you to see how everything is going. Did my answer help?

Let me know,