Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Cadillac Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Cadillac Diagnostics

2000 Cadillac DTS: I expect to pay for reaping an oil pan gasket leak

What should I expect to pay for reaping an oil pan gasket leak on a 2000 Cadillac DTS?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

Welcome! I'm Ron Z! I will do my best to answer all of your questions. For easy access to this thread, bookmark it now! Please read everything!

The Oil Pan Gasket sells for around $19. The killer here is the labor. The labor time guide calls for 10.2 hours to complete the job. There is a TON of work that needs to be done with this- the transmission and exhaust cross-over pipe need to be removed for proper access to drop the pan and replace the gasket. Not a fun job at all. Labor rates vary from shop to shop, so what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne. For a job of this type, a "fair" labor rate can by anywhere from $85-$125 per hour. Shop around, and find a reputable shop that warranty their parts and labor.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ron, how did you get 10.6 hours? I have two dealers saying 27 hours
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.

There's a Labor Time Guide that just about every shop has access to. It's the basis on which most shops get their times from. It's not uncommon for shops to round UP to the nearest hour, so getting a quote of "11" is not out of the ordinary. 27 though? A bit too much.

2000 Cadillac DeVille DTS V8-4.6L VIN 9

Parts Information

PartOEM PartPrice
Oil Pan Gasket
28 - Oil Pan Gasket12378521$18.81

Oil Pan Gasket
NOTE: Includes Auto Trans R&I.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Wow? Just double checking I'll try a neighboring city thanks again
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 4 years ago.
Yeah, shop around. I think the shop you called quoted 27 just to scare you away. Many shops won't even touch a job like this. I know my shop wouldn't. It's just not in the best interest to tie up a bay for 11 hours, when I can kick out 11 brake jobs in the same amount fo time, and make more money with less hassle. Sorry. But- glad I could have been of some help! Have a great day, and good luck!