Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

94 eldorado suspension options

94 eldorado suspension options
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is XXXXX XXXXX is your question?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have a 94 Eldorado. Its a nice car I got a good deal on. It has 96000 miles. The supposed bad transmission was a fuse. The computer advises me the "Ride control is malfunctioning" ... something like that. The tail sags as the factory computer control shocks are leaking ... it appears the computer is correct. I want a dependable worker bee. I drive 500 miles a week. I would like to replace all suspension components as economically as possible and still have a nice ride. I see factory replacement shocks are near 1000$ apiece for the rear alone. I gave 500$ for the car, another 600$ to have the rear axle repaired and am not interested in wasting money. I see Monroe offers part 40046(rear shock) 125$ea and 71854(front strut) 86$ea . I see Arnott offers rear air shock replacements 299$ pair and front struts 299$ pair. There is a spring retrofit system I believe offered by Arnott which does not have air at all that is supposed to be a viable retrofit even handling wise. These 3 complete systems cost less than one rear factory replacement shock. Im trying to make a decision and was looking for an objective comparison between the 3 lesser costing systems and the original with possibly a recommendation even if for a different setup.
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
we use the arnott retrofit kits for these, the original systems had many problems, and they are expensiove to fix, once you retro fit the new kit, you will never have a problem aagin, we do alot of these on the cadillacs and the lincolns, and it way cheaper for the retro fit kit, and it permanantly fixes it,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you tell me anything about the Monroe parts? Are they unsuitable? Which Arnott system do you use and why? I believe they offer passive air or coil-over rear shocks ? Is there any warranty advantage Monroe vs Arnott?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
the monroe parts are going to be a replacement for the air system, and it can still fail, with the arnott retro fit, it makes the suspension a conventional hydraulic system, so yo wont have any problems with it in the future, the monroes are quality parts, but you will have the same air ride suspension which are prone to expensive repairs,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Im looking at the Arnott rear air shocks ad I found and wondering why Arnott would make both setups available at similar cost. Is the air ride setup more comfortable so they still sell plenty of them? Is the Arnott air setup computer controlled? I guess the spring retro-fit setup would not be. I know the shop that may do this said a lady came in with her Caddy and they installed the spring retrofit and she was unhappy with the ride. I heard there was a resistor in some setups to fool the computer so no error message. I guess if I can find these components for reasonable cost Im not afraid of the air ride. It did last 96000 miles. I dont think the Monroe shocks are computer contol air ride just plain (passive) right?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
if you retrofit it, it will no longer be computer controlled, and the ride will not be as cushy as the factory, but its not bad, arnott sells the retro and the original air parts, monroes are the original air parts, both are good, be most people choose the retro fit so this wont happen again, if in the future, you lose your compressor or a wiring problem, it will be very expensive to fix if you stick with the air system, that is why they sell so many retro fits, i have installed at least 50 of these and have not heard any complaints about the ride, but you will notice a difference, you said you wanted a dependable worker bee, and the retro fit would be the best for that,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Ok ... well your earn your money on this one :) Do the expensive dealer replacement rear shocks have some "action" the Arnott or Monroe air replacements dont, if so what? Are any of the front strut replacements factory,Monroe or Arnott air-operated? Do any have sensors that need to be either working or correctly by-passed? For what? The spring retro-fit has sensor bypass?

Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
the arnotts and monroe operate the same as factory, the fronts are not air ride, just the rears, the retro kits come with a resistor to put on to turn off the message on the dash, the dealer parts are just expensive, the monroes will work as good or better then dealer parts,Tim
Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience: 30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL