Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2002 cadillac deville: wont start..instrument panel..ingnition..trans

2002 cadillac deville wont start because the computer thinks is in drive even thought is in park position but the light on the instrument panel says that its in gear which also affects the ingnition key from coming out ,,i am thinking its the trans gear position sensor ,,,any ideas and were is the gera position sensor
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

Ok, the transmission mode switch is located inside the transmission on the valve body and requires partial teardown of the valvebody to replace it.

If you are confident in your ability to teardown and rebuild a valvebody, I can supply directions, but I urge caution on trying this if you never have as failure to rebuild it correctly will result in internal damage to the transmission that will require a complete transmission overhaul.

If you are positive that you want to do this yourself(please be sure as it cost me money to upload factory directions), let me know to upload directions

If not, then have a shop to the repair

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

If not, then have a shop to the repair

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
That's not what I wanted to know .. I need your opinon on weather that is the more likelly cause or what else could be
Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

you asked where it was located as well.

There are 3 causes - the transmission internal mode switch, break or cut in wiring harness or the PCM. Of the 3, the most common failure is the transmission internal mode switch.

The transmission pan needs to be dropped as well as filter and part of valve body removed to inspect the wiring harness and repair as needed. if ok, then switch is tested. If bad, replace. If ok, then PCM is replaced.

Expert:  Eric replied 5 years ago.

you asked where it was located as well.