Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

Cadillac CTS: my 03 cadillac cts service airbag light is on.

my 03 cadillac cts service airbag light is on. How do I fix this
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm here to help get your problem resolved. Do you know what diagnostic codes your getting? Do you have a scantool capable of checking airbag codes? Thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no I don't, I can use one at oreilly's or autozone tomorrow as they are closed for the night
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
These scantools are not capable of checking airbag codes...You may need to pay a shop $30 or so to check codes for you..You can try to do it yourself with onboard diagnostic system, the 2003 CTS Non-Nav, turn on the ignition without starting the car. Push in the F1 and the F6 function keys on the radio at the same time.
For the 2003 CTS with Nav, Press the BAND button and the bottom NAV button to the left of the display, then release. If that works you can write down code and reply to this answer at any time without any additional fee's and with code I can tell you likely problem, how to repair/test, and costs..Otherwise have it done with scantool at shop and let me know..Without knowing codes a common thing to fail is clockspring which is a winding of wire behind steering wheel. Its about a $240 part and a hour labor to replace but you want to check codes before assuming anything. Let me know if you have any questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have the nav system so when I push the two buttons am I pushing them as I start the car or after I start the car? Also am I pushing them in at the same time as each other?
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.

Do it with vehicle running and correct, push them at the same time. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if I did it correctly it didn't give me any codes, I pushed both buttons and held them for 30 or so seconds while the service air bag was displayed on the nav unit and also after I hit the ok button to take it off the display and pushed the two buttons again and still nothing
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You can try same procedure with key in on position without it started..If that doesnt work you will need to have codes checked with scantool. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
yeah I just tried that too and nothing
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Sorry to hear that option isnt working..Since its not working the only other option is to have a scantool connected. Once you get the codes feel free to reply and let me know what codes your getting. Thanks again and let me know if you have questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, so how do I close this do I push the accept answer button or is there another way to keep this open until a later date
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
They have been doing some recent updates so I'm not sure how to "accept answer". I heard there is a smiley face system in place, once you click the smiley face it may automatically accept....Otherwise if you see a "accept" button you can still reply after you press it or you can wait..Its up to you..Question will be available for you to come back and reply to at any time if you run into questions. Thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok I figured out the airbag light and figured I would let you know just incase you have someone else ask the same question. All I did was moved the wires around underneath the passengers side seat and make sure that the plug was plugged in all the way and restarted the car and it seemed to have fixed the problem.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Happy to hear problem is fixed, sounds like you had a loose connection at connector. Thanks for update.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes thats what it had to of been and apparently its a common problem with that car so just a heads up and thanks for your help hopefully I wont need you again, but if I do I'll be sure to try and get you again. Thanks again happy easter