Jim, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified A6,A8,L1 and California Licensed Smog Technician

1997 cadillac deville have overheating issues replaced water

Customer Question

1997 cadillac deville have overheating issues replaced water pump. Just got it from my friend who said theirs still issua. May gasket and how much is this job? Or could it be something else.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jim replied 4 years ago.

How long after starting it does it overheat? Do you know if the cooling fans are coming on?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It takes a while the cooling fans are coming on
Expert:  Jim replied 4 years ago.
There are several things that can cause this, the most simple is a sticking thermostate and if it has not been changed in awhile it is a good maintance item to replace. There could be a restriction in the radiator. And yes the head gaskets can be leaking, cost is around Gasket set is around $100.00 new head bolts $67.00 and the labor time is around 20 hours. In the area I live the labor rate is $90.00 per hour so labor would be $`1800.00. Plus you have coolant, oil and filter costs as well. You should also have the heads checked and machined which is between $80.00 and $120.00.