Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.

2000 Escalade: dashboard lights and headlights

I just purchased a 2000 Escalade base. The dashboard lights and headlights do not always go on automatically when it gets dark.
Sometimes neither go on, sometimes just the headlights. Occasionally there is a loud clicking noise coming from the dashboard, sounds like from the center of the driver side. While this clicking noise is happening there is a slight flickering of the headlights and the green light on the rearview mirror (auto-dimming activated) flashes.
The interior lights do not go on when the doors open (I checked to insure the dome light override was not on) They will go on when the interior light wheel is turned up. Could both items be related in any way?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 4 years ago.
All of these functions are controlled by the body controller, which is under the console. I don't know that you have a faulty BCM just yet, but it wouldn't be uncommon for it to be faulty.

This requires some scan tool diagnostics. A good tech with a good scan tool can command these various functions to see if they all work, and can also check the various inputs to make sure they're correct. I wouldn't attempt to diagnose this without use of a scan tool, so for this reason, my recommendation is to let your dealer diagnose this for you. Another reason to have the dealer handle it: a new BCM requires programming that only your dealer can perform, so you'd be in the right place to have the BCM replaced, if that's what it ends up being.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the reply. The place I purchased the car was leaning in that direction, but confirmation from you helped.