Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Cadillac Deville: My low oil pressure light comes on when the

My low oil pressure light comes on when the vehicle is full of oil. If I stop the engine and restart, it usually goes off. What could be causing this on my 2003 Deville?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.

this can be due to a faulty oil pressure sensor, fault wiring harness or faulty oil pump. the first step is removing the oil pressure sensor and replacing with a mechanical oi pressure gage to check the oil pressure. If oil pressure is ok, then sensor is tested, followed by wiring harness and finally the warning light itself.

If there is no engine knocking noise or clattering noise when the oil pressure warning light comes on, I suspect it is a faulty pressure sensor, but we always check the actual pressure first to rule out the oil pump.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The engine runs smoothly, and there is no knocking or engine noise. I'm getting ready to drive 2,000 miles over Easter. It sounds to me like a faulty sensor. Should I make the trip without worry?
Expert:  Eric replied 4 years ago.
HI,

odds are about 90% that it is just the sensor, but honestly, before driving 2000 miles, I personally would have it checked to make sure. It is only about 1/2 hour labor for a shop to test the oil pressure by removing the sensor and hooking a pressure gage to it, and if ok, go ahead and install a new sensor, which runs about $30.

Better safe than sorry.

Please note, your Deposit doesn't constitute a payment. Please click the ACCEPT BUTTON to complete transaction or ask for more help. Positive feedback is always appreciated. Bonuses are welcome. Please note that if you have a subscription service you still need to click the accept button, however you are not charged again. Thank you
.