Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Cadillac Seville SLS: I have a 1999 Cadillac Seville SLS that

I have a 1999 Cadillac Seville SLS that just started overheating. It has a fairly new radiator and I just replaced the radiator cap, thermostat and antifreeze in it today but it still runs up to almost hot. I turn it off before it climbs too high so as not to damage the engine. It is squirting out around the resevoir tank cap when it gets hot also. I have started the car with the radiator cap off and the water is flowing so what else could be making it overheat?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.

Pete :

Hi and welcome to Just Answer.I will try and assist you today with your question.Please don't click on accept unless you feel satisfied with my assistance here.

Customer:

ok

Pete :

It sounds like you have covered some common components that can cause this concern.

The most common cause for this over heat condition on this vehicle is a leaking head gasket.What usually happens is the head gasket will leak exhaust gases and heat into the cooling system and cause the coolant to heat rapidly and over heat the vehicle.

Usually with this concern you wont see coolant in the oil or oil in the coolant or even excess smoke out of the exhaust.

What needs to be done here is to have the block tested with a block tester,this will sit on top of the coolant reservoir with the cap off of the reservoir,then blue fluid is put in the tester and the vehicle is run.If the fluid starts to bubble and turn green this indicates a faulty head gasket or cracked head.

This test can be done at any repair shop and you can also purchase this tester at a parts store to check yourself.

I recommend replacing both head gaskets at the same time so the repair wont have to be done in the future for the other side and I also recommend having the heads checked and tested for any cracks or warping by a machine shop before reinstalling them.

Labor for this repair can cost up to 24 hours and parts can be around $200.

This is the most common failure for this concern here.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!

Customer:

If I rev the engine to around 3500 rpm and hold it there the temperature with begin to go back down to normal

Pete :

Is the water pump belt on or did it break or come off at all?

Customer:

no, it is on an spinning with no issues

Customer:

water is flowing through the radiator. I started the car and watched it flow

Customer:

i didn't find the bleeder screw to eliminate any air pockets

Customer:

could that be my problem

Pete :

This can still be a leaking head gasket.

Customer:

I have heat coming out of the heater

Customer:

should I see any steam coming out of the exhaust becasue of that

Pete :

It is possible that there is air in the system as well,run the engine until warmed up then shut it off and allow it to cool.Then after a couple of hours of cooling recheck and add antifreeze as needed and start the engine and repeat if necessary

Pete :

No steam would exit the exhaust and the heater may still operate properly with a head gasket issue.

Customer:

ok, Thank you

Pete :

Your welcome.

Expert:  Pete replied 4 years ago.
Let me know if you need anything else with your question asked or anything else in the future.Thanks Pete!