Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

94 Cadillac: dashboard..battery and alternator..intermittent

Customer Question

'94 Cadillac dashboard message says,"Battery no charge". Mechanic says battery and alternator both are fine. Problem is intermittent. Car fires right up, says monitored systems are fine, but "no battery connection" display comes up when car is put in reverse. Since it doesn't do it every time, my wife doesn't feel confident driving the car.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. If mechanic is sure they tested wiring correctly then the PCM which is the main engine computer will need to be replaced...But before doing that I would replace the small red wire that goes between pcm and alternator just so you know its not a wiring problem. you can get a used pcm from to save money. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This sounds like a major deal, what makes you think the entire PCM needs replacing, and how expensive is that?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
There is nothing else involved in charging system thats why I would want them to double/triple check the wiring..wiggling the wires to see if they cant get it to act up then check wiring/connectors in that area..Because if alternator and wiring is good then PCM is the only possible cause which is about a $500 repair. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are we talking parts and labor for $500?
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.
That is correct. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you... you have been terrific. One last question. Is this a repair that should be done ASAP, or what would the chain of events be if we did nothing? I don't want my wife to be stranded somewhere.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

It sounds like it should be fine...If it was going to cause battery to be dead warning on for at leeast 5 minutes so unless warning stays on for long periods of time I wouldnt worry. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your expertise, I really appreciate your impartial, trustworthy advice.
Expert:  Dan replied 4 years ago.

No problem, let me know if you have questions. Thanks.