Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2005 SRX: power steering pump..oem pump..all the hoses and rack adn

I have a 2005 SRX and just replaced the power steering pump it worked great for a day and a half, but now it seems worse. I did replace the pump with a remanufactured pump from Napa and I just ordered an OEM pump from Cadillac. I'm sure I got a bad pump and I checked all the hoses and rack adn seemed to be in proper working order. If you have any other suggestions that would be great, but I believe I got a defective pump.  The OEM pump did not fix the problem. The rebuildt worked for two days but the OEM does not work at all
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Cadillac problem.

I too am certain that you got a bad pump. I have seen this numerous times with remanufactured pumps. They may work for 10 minutes or a couple of days then fail. Installing teh Delco pump should fix your problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The new OEM pump was installed and it does not work at all.
Do you get any steering assist if you raise the engine rpm?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Reved the engine several times and no power assist at any RPM
The likely hood htat you got two bad pumps is not too high, but the alternative is a failed steering rack. It takes a specialized gauge set to test power steering system pressures. Short of that, all you can do is try another pump. Power steering racks do not often fail where you lose all power steering assist.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We cannot see fluid circulating in the reservoir on the OEM pump. The rebuilt pum (when it was working) we could see the fluid circulating. Could the present of pump pressure be checked if we loosened the line to s
the steering rack, as we do not have the gauges you indicated.
The fact that you do not see fluid circulating in the reservoir indicates that the pump is not working. You can loosen the fitting at the rack and start the engine. If the pump is working you will get fluid out under great pressure. If the fluid just oozes out then the pump is not working.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Dave ,its getting late so we will attack this monster in the AM, can I accept and keep this thread open?
Yes, the thread will be open. You will have an email with a link back to this thread. Let me know how things go.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a 2005 Cadillac SRX with a 4.6L engine and I have no power steering. I replaced the pump with a REMAN and worked for a day and a half so I got a Delco OEM pump thinking that I had a bad pump and I still have no power steering. Any suggestions or could it be my rack and pinion?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After replacing the REMAN pump with and OEM Delco pump and still no power steering indicates that it might be the rack and pinion, but I don't like throwing parts at it just to find out that it might not be that part. Any suggestions or with these cadillacs and all the bells and whistles could there be a sensor or something else?
There is a variable steering effort system, it does not affect pump output, but varies a valve inside the rack and pinion. Check to see if there is pressure coming out of the line at the rack and pinion like we talked about last night and we can take it from there.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for the information and I'll check the pressure at the rack and get back to you
That will be great, thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Dave, here is what we did:
Loosened high pressure connection at pump, started engine and fluid just dribbled out(no pressure).
Remover pump and reservoir connected them together on the work bench and then spun the pump with a drill, plenty of pressure, pump is good.
Found a belt routing picture and found we were spinning the new OEM pump backwards boy do we feel like dumb sh...s.
Glad you were able to figure it out. It did sound like the pump was not producing pressure, and when turned the wrong way, it will not. Thanks again for using justanswer.