Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.

2002 cadillac seville "service stability system" light comes on occasionally. O

2002 cadillac seville "service stability system" light comes on occasionally. Once it came on after I drove slowly over a curb. I am a very safe and easy driver. Is it dangerous to drive if I do nothing?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

First, as to safety, yes it is safe to drive unless you live where there is constantly snow or ice on the ground where the stability control helps you keep control of vehicle. But this is only when the light is on that you dont have the stability control.

When ESC(electronic stability control) detects loss of steering control, it automatically applies the brakes to help "steer" the vehicle where the driver intends to go. Braking is automatically applied to wheels individually, such as the outer front wheel to counter oversteer or the inner rear wheel to counter understeer.

Causes of the intermittent loss of stability control system is usually a short in the wiring harness or intermittent fault in one of the wheel speed sensors. unfortunately, the dealer is correct in that it does take some extensive diagnostic testing and time to find the fault.

If I had the fault code that they retreived from the control module I could be more specific in the area of concern, but without it, i can only speculate

Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Upon checking receipts I found the following code: C 1287 (steering wheel position sensor faulty).

About how much does this cost to repair? Is your answer above still correct for this situation?
Expert:  Eric replied 2 years ago.

sorry, was out for dinner

Ok, this is either a faulty steering wheel position sensor, or more likely the wiring harness to it has gotten chafed and intermittently will short against inside of steering column and set the fault light.

this sensor is as it is named, inside the steering column and records the positioning of the steering wheel in relation to steering for corrections needed to avoid over or understeer.

It is almost 2hrs labor to pull the steering column apart to check the wiring harness and repair as needed or replace sensor if wiring is ok.

As to safety, what I said before on being safe unless you constantly drive on snowy or iced over roads where over or understeering can occur.
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.