Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs

2001 Cadillac Seville STS: an automatic transmission..Northstar..DOHC

Customer Question

I need help with how to change out an automatic transmission in a 2001 Cadillac Seville STS; Northstar DOHC
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Hello, My name I Randall. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Sorry for the delay. Have you started the job? are you stuck at some posint? or have you not started the job and looking for repair indormation/?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Haven't started yet, would like to know what to expect; and if there are aany trade secrets I should know when doing it? Any special tubes I should replace? And how many qts of tranny fluid with a new filter? Thanks for your time :) Kim
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
I can send the repair info in a .pdf file in a bit but. tricks? hard to say. Its nothing short of a very big job. Surely want to repalce anything you see while in there and have the room. I will make some suggestions shortly but.. In the meantime before i begin sending anyhting, are you aware that the frame must beremoved under the engine and trans, So.. you have to be able to support the engine and.. at same time have car in the air. I have never tried this on the ground and really dont tink it can be done and if so,, will make job near twice as difficult. I was just wondering if you have dome any research to know this about supporting engine, removing entore front frame etc
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Pllease do send that file that would be GREAT!! Yes, I know ;) Thank you
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, no problem. Please allow me a few to gather and send. Thanks
Expert:  Randall C replied 4 years ago.
Ok, at this point the only advice I can give is: be sure you look the engine over good while trans is out. makes getting to any hose etc that may need attention. Alos, be sure to fill the torque converter with new fluid say like 3 qts+ and,, if used trans, be sure to change the front seal on the trans,.Most other items you can hanlde during the repair or even after trans is in if say a hose or line is bad.

You can click HERE for the removal info