Canadafix, Owner/Technician
Experience:  Canadian Class A licenced since 1989

While I am driving my car keeps shutting off on me. The battery

While I am driving my car keeps shutting off on me. The battery is new, just replaced it about two months ago. I took it to a mechanic he thought it was the alternator. I just had it replaced got the car back today and its doing the same thing. I have a battery charger when it shut off on me I jumped myself using the battery charger and was able to get home but I had to jump myself twice to get home.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Canadafix replied 4 years ago.
Welcome to Just Answer.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with the alternator.

Can you give me the year, model and engine size of your Cadillac to begin with please?

Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its a 2003 Cadillac CTS. Engine size is 3.2.
Expert:  Canadafix replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your reply.

From your description of the problem it certainly appears that the alternator is not charging correctly, if at all.

The regulator on the alternator on your CTS is controlled by the cars computer.
If the alternator main output terminal has power, the belt is tight and not slipping, the connections are correct and tight then it may be that the alternator is not being properly controlled by the computer.

You can only go so far with diagnosing this yourself without the use of a proper scan tool.
Did you want to proceed with what you can do? If so, you will need a multimeter or a test lamp.

Thank you,