Canadafix
Canadafix, Owner/Technician
Experience:  Canadian Class A licenced since 1989
25077074

Crank position sensor..front of the block but back by the crankcase

Customer Question

what does the crank position sensor look like and can i just replace it? please clarify exactly where it is located. you said front of the block but back by the crankcase.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

I will get the procedure for you, back with the reply in a few minutes.

Thank you.
Bernie
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Raise and support the vehicle safely.
Remove the bolt securing the crankshaft position (CKP) sensor to the engine block.
Remove the CKP sensor and O-ring seal from the engine block.
Lower the vehicle.
graphic

Remove the following components depending on the RPO code in order to gain access to the CKP sensor pigtail:
    • (LHD) The wiper motor module.
    • (RHD)
    • The left air inlet grill panel only.
    • The front air inlet panel assembly bolts.
    • The front air inlet panel assembly.

graphic

Disconnect the wiring harness connector from the CKP sensor pigtail (1).
Disconnect the CKP sensor pigtail (1) from the retainer.
Cut the tie strap securing the CKP sensor pigtail to the oil cooler pipes
Securely attach a scrap piece of wire about 91 cm (36 in) long to the CKP sensor pigtail. Later, this piece will be used as a pull wire to guide the new sensor pigtail back through the same routing.
Remove the CKP sensor pigtail. Observe the routing of the pigtail. Gently pull the CKP sensor pigtail down through the routing path and out.
Disconnect the sensor from the pull wire.

INSTALLATION PROCEDURE

Securely attach the CKP sensor pigtail to the lower end of the pull wire.
Use the pull wire as a guide in order to pull the sensor pigtail up through the routing path into position.
Disconnect the pull wire from the sensor pigtail.

graphic

Connect the CKP sensor pigtail (1) to the retainer.
Connect the CKP sensor pigtail (1) to the wiring harness connector.
Raise and support the vehicle. Refer to Vehicle Lifting.
Thoroughly clean the mating surfaces of the CKP sensor and the engine block.

Install the CKP sensor with a new O-ring seal into the engine block.
Install the bolt securing the CKP sensor to the engine block. NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Service Precautions. Tighten Tighten the CKP sensor bolt to 8 N.m (71 lb in) .
Check the harness for proper routing. Do not allow the wiring to come in contact with the exhaust manifold.
Lower the vehicle.
Secure the CKP sensor pigtail to the oil cooler pipes using a tie strap.

There you are.
If you are not clear on the position of the sensor, let me know here.
Thank you.
Bernie
Canadafix, Owner/Technician
Experience: Canadian Class A licenced since 1989
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
You are welcome.Smile
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I just went up to Autozone to order the part and they said that probably wasn't it because there is no check engine light. Is that true or would the engine light not come on in this case?
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.

I do not agree with the person at Autozone..
Although you should verify that the crank sensor is the issue, a defective crank sensor will not set a code.
A defective cam sensor will.

Bernie.
Canadafix, Owner/Technician
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
another question... the drawings are really hard to tell what's what... i can't see where the wire come up and plugs in. Is it on the back left of the engine towards the firewall as you are standing in front of the car looking at the engine. Nothing in those drawings look like the car..
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hello.
In the diagram for the sensor location the view is from the front of the car.
There is a bolt and the sensor shown pulled away from the engine block . There are two lines showing the direction of the point of installation.
The transmission is cut away and you can see the flywheel.
The sensor is just behind the radiator on the engine block, above the level of the oil pan attaching point.
You can follow the direction of the wire from there.
The wire runs inside a protective tube.

Please ask if this still isn't clear.
Thank you.
Bernie.

You do not have to accept each time.
I will assist you until we are completed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
that's the problem, i can't follow the wire. it goes up and the i can't see it anymore. really tight back there.
Expert:  Canadafix replied 2 years ago.
Hi.

If you read the repair guide, you will see you need to pull the wire out of the tube.
The wire needs to be disconnected up near the wiper motor.
By attaching a scrap wire to the plug at the other end, you can pull the new one back up through the tube.

Found a few pictures of it here. Link