KALAMYKID
KALAMYKID, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

How to jump start a dead battery in a 2000 Cadillac deville

Customer Question

Category: Cadillac
Expert:  KALAMYKID replied 3 years ago.

KALAMYKID :

First conect the jumper cables to the running good battery posts, positive first then the negutive post, makig sure that the other end of the cables are not touching.

Customer :

ok

KALAMYKID :

then conect the red lead to your cadi at the battery jump off post as shown in the diagram below, and then conect the black lead to a good metal serface on the engine itslef.

Customer :

the battery is NOT in the engine! It is under the back seat.

KALAMYKID :

That is ok, you do not want to conect the jumper cables directly to the dead battery

KALAMYKID :

the boost of port is on the passanger side of the car next to the strught tower and will have a red plastic cover over it.

KALAMYKID :

Full Size Image

KALAMYKID :

You ill only conect the jumper cables to the good battery of the car that is boosting your cadi off.

Customer :

ok thenafter connecting the red cable to the cadi battery I should connect the blavk cable to the engine block = =correct?

KALAMYKID :

The jumper cables should not be connected to the battery of your cadi at all. Therte is a jump off point under the hood on the passanger side near the strught tower.

KALAMYKID :

But yes the blck lead will be conected to a good metal serface on the engine, this can be a braket for the alternator, power steering pump, or any unpainted metal surface.

KALAMYKID :

With the battery bing inside the car, the battery can have ischarged battery acid vapors into the passanger compartment, for this reason you donot want to create any sparks at or near the battery. so please do not conect the jumper cables directly to the battery in the cadi.

Customer :

Thank you----got it started and my son is driving it around.

KALAMYKID :

You are very welcome.