JHoop
JHoop, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner

Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham(RWD): How do I reset the anti-theft

How do I reset the anti-theft system on my 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham?

Thank you
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Happy Holidays, my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have about the same problem.

Wait 20 minutes for a system reset. If it won't start then you have to spend a bundle or bypass it with a 5.00 part.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless and Happy Holidays.

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

So far, this hasn't been much help. The lights flashed for more than an hour, and no reset.

What is the $ 5.00 part? Does Cadillac know what it is and how to install it?

Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Would you like the bypass procedure? I do these at my shop for 100.00 total.

I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by CLICKING HERE. I hope this helps you.

If you need more help, please ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

My computer did an emergency shutdown, and I lost you. I have printed the PDF file and will follow its instructions. If it works, I will be very happy to pay you and to leave you excellent feedback.

Jim Hamilton

P.S. In which city are you?

Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Trust me that works. I wrote the article with one of my buddies. I'm in So Cal.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was able to download http://home.hiwaay.net/etc etc etc, but not http://fp.enter etc etc.
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
What does that have to do with my answer?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Your statement near the end of the PDF, that "Now to conclude the document, I have been shown a way to completely bypass the VATS module altogether" seems to suggest that this method is preferable to your method which you explain in the PDF. Do you agree?

It appears simpler.

It occurs to me that I haven't told you what happened. That may be significant. I was painting the trim in my garage. The key was not in the ignition. Nothing was functioning in the car except the clock in the radio. The lights suddenly began flashing. The horn did not blow. Now the car will run start after a couple of seconds, and run maybe five seconds.

Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
I cannot give you that site where you have to pay for another rather expensive part. It would be against site rules. I get compensation from that part design.

I will get you some help. I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Please do not reply as it will lock me to your question and no other expert can answer you. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

We have gotten our wires crossed. I have not asked you for a site where I can buy a part.

Jim

Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
I have to opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm not sure whether I left a rating, but I did leave a very good review. You gave me exactly what I needed to fix the car. A local mechanic using your information fixed the car so that it works perfectly. Well done!!
Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
Good to hear you have a fix. Happy Holidays, JHoop
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

JHoop gave me instructions for fooling the Vehicle Anti Theft System of my 1996 Cadillac Fleetwood Brougham, because it failed to recognize that the ignition key had the correct resister. A mechanic followed the instructions, and for a while the car worked fine.

Now, it occasionally has the problem again. It thinks someone is trying to start it with an ignition key which hasn't the correct resister. It flashes the lights, shuts off the fuel flow and doesn't release the brake.

When I disconnect the positive battery cable, even for an instant, the lights stop flashing and the car behaves normally. Then, later, it will act up again.

Isn't it possible to simply bypass the VATS, and to have the electric impulse go directly to the starter motor?

Jim HAMILTON

Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
You have a chip in the key, Ya ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Yes, it is the key with the correct resister. It worked fine for a while, and still works fine most of the time.

Jim

Expert:  JHoop replied 2 years ago.
You need a GM dealer. And NO, you cannot remove that system.