Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

1999 Cadillac DeVille: 500 miles..leaking oil..all seals..removing

I have a 1999 Cadillac DeVille with 103,500 miles. It is leaking oil. The serviceman says all seals must be replaced which requires removing the engine for $3500.00. What do you think ? What else might go wrong given the age of the car.? I'm 81 years old and had planned to keep this car until I leave this world. XXXXX XXXXX, Pinehurst, NC
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

It is common on this engine for the crank case half seal to leak,this is a fairly big job to replace these seals.The labor to replace these seals is around 23 hours due to having to remove the engine and take the transmission off of the engine to replace these.

If it isn't dripping on the ground and you don't have to add oil all the time to the engine then you should be o.k. to drive it.Some of these just seep the oil and don't need replaced while others can leak heavily and oil must be added once a week.

Head gaskets are very common to fail on these and require replacement when they do.If you are going to have the pan seals replaced then I recommend having the head gaskets checked to see if they are starting to leak and if they are they should be replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The leakage is minimal--traces on the garage concrete. How much is too much? Is $3500 reasonable for this job? If I continue to drive (I put few miles on this car) will the engine crash and burn(not literally)? given the info I have given, should I expect continuing major repairs?
Expert:  Pete replied 2 years ago.
The vehicle can be driven and may last a long time like this,if the leak gets any larger though then the seals should be replaced.

The price you were given does sound around average for this repair.

The engine wont fail,burn up or blow up.Just make sure you check the oil once and awhile and top it off as needed.

The only other major problem like said above is usually failed head gaskets which can run another $2000 or more for repairs.

These engines are good engines but when these components fail it can be costly to repair.

Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.