George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

2000 cadillac escalade: it sits..fuel pressure regulator..fuel pump

I have 2000 Cadilac Escalade and after it sits for several hours it appears to lose its prime and takes several trys to start. Is it losing fuel pressure somehow? Is there a fuel pressure regulator or does it generate from the fuel pump?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

Is it a little rough running after starting?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only until the rpms catch up (5 seconds) then it runs pretty well.
Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

Ok, there is a pressure regulator that does leak. The upper intake has to be removed and the regulator is on the side of the fuel injection body. A clean patch will be under the pressure regulator if it is leaking.

It is possible for the check valve in the pump to be leaking as well so you need to install a fuel pressure gauge to the fuel test port and first see if the pressure bleeds off with the key off then block the return line by capping it at the joint above the fuel filter and see if the pressure still bleeds off. If the pressure falls with the return blocked the problem is the pump not the regulator. It may be leaking injectors but this is not common. The regulator and the pump are common problems.

Let me know how I Can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks I have taken it to a mechanic in the past to no avail so appreciate your help,

I will give them your guidance. any idea on the cost of the regulator?

Expert:  George H. replied 4 years ago.

The regulator is about $60 but to install it is 2 hours labor so it would not be inexpensive if it was not the regulator. I would have them test first.

Let me know what I can do to help you

Thank you