Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

My car stopped running while I was driving it.

Customer Question

My car stopped running while I was driving it. Just lost all power. Codes on the car read I034 and T072. Messages indicate traction is disabled. We've replaced the PCM but nothing has helped. Can you shed some light on this?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Gm Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
Did the engine stall!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I was driving my car when it lost all power. It just shut down and coasted to a stop. Messages came up on the DIC to STOP ENGINE. Later it showed that there was no oil pressure, the instrument panel indicated "--" where the gas mpg is located. Also, the car tries to turn over, but won't fire. Codes revealed show I034 and T072. We have replaced the computer under the front panel of the dash, but it has not helped.
Is there spark and fuel pressure?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The car wants to turn over, so I'm assuming there is a spark. How do I find out about fuel pressure. What are the indicators?

We cannot assume anything. Engine cranking means only the starter works. Can you use a spark tester?

As for fuel pressure, check on the test port on the fuel rail for pressure and if it holds.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What about the codes that I'm getting I034 and T072? How do they play into the picture? From what I've read, they indicate a possible problem with a speed sensor. Could that cause the car to stop running?
A speed sensor unless the crank sensor would not cause it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Was it the vehicle speed sensor? If so then it will stop shifting not stall the engine. We cannot start to diagnose until you do the testing I asked for.