Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

I have a no start problem with my 2003 cadillac cts

Customer Question

i have a no start problem with my 2003 cadillac cts
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Do you hear any noises like clicking when trying to start the vehicle?

Is or has the theft/security light been on and staying on with the key on or flashing at all with the key on or after trying to start the vehicle then releasing the key?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no security light ,all other lights on
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Do you hear any noises inside the vehicle or under the hood like any clicking when trying to start the vehicle with the key?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

Lets first start with the easiest steps.

Locate the under hood fuse box under the hood on this vehicle.There will be a fuse labeled STARTER and should be a 30 amp fuse.Make sure this fuse is good,if it is blown replace it and see if the vehicle starts then.

If this fuse is good in this same under hood fuse box should be a relay labeled STARTER.Have someone try and crank over the engine and hold the key like this and you tap on this relay with the handle of a screwdriver.If the starter then engages and the vehicle turns over and starts then this relay needs replaced.This relay can be common to fail and cause this problem here.

Let me know if you come up with anything here and we can continue if needed either before and or after the accept.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i change relay an check all other fuses
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
When you changed the relay did it start and also was the 30 amp fuse labeled STARTER o.k.?

Do you have a test light or multi meter for testing electrical at all?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

frist im a retired gm tech.so i can fellow alittle, yes ihave atest light

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.Good to know,

With the key on or off probe the top of the starter fuse under the hood in the under hood fuse box on both sides of the fuse with the fuse still installed for power with the test light hooked to ground.See if you have power on this fuse with it in the fuse box with the key on or off and let me know,Thanks Pete!

Also when you jumped the starter did you jump it from the large post on the starter to the small post on the starter?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes with on cars usely start up
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

Can you locate the wiring under the dash for your ignition switch,there should be a connection for the switch either at the switch or near the bottom of the steering column area,there should be a yellow wire in terminal C10 at this connection near the steering column.

Test this yellow wire for voltage with the test light hooked to ground when holding the key in the cranking position.Let me know if you have voltage here.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

please call me if can XXXXXXXXXX frank i need to lock this down

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately,its against policy to call anyone here and your number doesn't show up here as well.I can only work with you on this here on line as much as needed.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not with car .ok if no voltage at yellow wire what s next .if theres voltage what next

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
If there is no voltage make sure all other fuses are o.k. and if they are then most likely the electronic ignition switch is at fault needing replaced.(Most common to fail and cause this)

If there is voltage then either the computer itself is at fault not sending the crank signal or the neutral safety switch on the transmission is at fault as it doesn't see the vehicle in park or neutral.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the elect. ignitionswitch is in collum behind key switch right if so thanks forthe help pete.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
It is located under the ignition cylinder and usually has two screws that hold it in place.