Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2002 cadillac Seville STS: my guage cluster lights..instrument panel

my 2002 cadillac Seville STS will not start when I turn the key over. I turn the key to the run position and my guage cluster lights up, but when I turn it to the start position the instrument panel goes black and nothing happens. this until today was intermittent but it definitley will not start at all now.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX X'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. This usually means the battery is bad or you have a poor connection. Use a voltmeter to moniter battery voltage while trying to start, it should maintain 11v if not then battery is bad or dead. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried all that and found a very corroded main negative lead where it connects to the frame under the back seat. took it apart, cleaned it and reassembled. still same problem, even used friends car to jump start, same response.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
A jump isnt enough for a bad battery, try a different battery and let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

used a tester, battery checked out fine. went through system using last known source of power method, got to relay panel under hood, can't find starter to check if starter itself is getting power, all ignition relays are closing and opening at the right times and responding to correct voltage requirements.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Do you even hear a click when trying to start? Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no click except the mini relays in the fuse boxes
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Do you have a voltmeter?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

i can get one again, buddy went home w/ the tools

what you want me to look for and where you want me to check?

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
CHeck battery voltage while trying to start if it doesnt maintain at lesat 11v its bad...If good check to see if there is 11v at fuses while trying to start if not you have a poor connection on battery wire.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I will give it a shot, just seems to easy to be a battery issue when running the hud reads out 15v while running. Did notice some sparking when I disconnected the neg lead to clan it at the chassis, maybe parasitic draw. Will check it out.

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ok, let me know how it goes. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
tried the voltmeter across battery terminals while trying to start. initially I read 12.08VDC When I rotate the key to the spring loaded start position I read 11.88VDC. Instrument panel goes black and then comes back on when I release the key
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
OK, moniter voltagfe on one of the large fuses under hood while trying to start...it should maintain 11v also, let me know. Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So any of those big fuses? they don't have exposed contact points to test from unless those little metal points in the corners are testable
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Correct, any big fuse that has voltage with key off....You can also press/hold the info off/on and info up buttons to check on boatd diagnostic codes to see if there is anything that might be related showing up.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

come to think of it, the service engine soon light does stay on while all this is going on, I just figured iot was a timed cycle after the engine starts

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Ya, any time a light comes on its for a reason and thats how you can check codes and reset them...Write down codes and reset them then try to start. Let me know how it goes, thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok got nothing with the fuses on the board under the hood. I didn't pull any codes from the info buttons but will try again.
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
If you go no voltage on fuses while trying to start that means you have a bad battery connection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have disconnected and reconnected everything all is tight unless the harness runnin from the back seat to the engine compartment has a bad spot
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Either side of the cable could have a poor connection..But if large fuses that have voltage with key off are dropping voltage when trying to start that can only mean a bad connection.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I got no codes from the DIC system except "change brake pads because I changed the pads and the clip for the sensor wasn't right. no other codes. but the service engine soon light stays on. I even checked the main power connection to the fuse panel, (the wires leading to the fuse box) I am having a problem finding suitable grounds to test voltage against, but what little I do find have the meter reading in millivolts, so I guess the connection issue is warranted, but I do not see how I can personally connect and tighten each post on the battery and guarantee positive contact and things still play out like a loose/poor connection

Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You need to make sure main battery wire power/grounds are clean on both sides of wires where they connect to battery, chassis, and fuseboxes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Did that already as stated previously
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
You will need to do a voltage drop test to see where connections go bad.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope, called a wrecker. will let the garage figure it out
Expert:  Dan replied 2 years ago.
Let me know where bad connection ends up being, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database