Jerry Newton
Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
25345654

Cadillac Escalade 07 escalade awd with low oil light on, changed

07 escalade awd with low oil light on, changed the sensor in oil pan, oil level is good, truck has 126k on it! need help to solve this issue
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Jerry Newton replied 3 years ago.
This is definitely low oil LEVEL, not low oil PRESSURE, right?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
YES SORRY LOW OIL LEVEL
Nope, just want to make sure, there are problems with low oil pressure on these, too, so I want to make sure we're addressing the correct problem.

This is something of a complex circuit. The switch circuit is simple, it's just two wires that go to the engine computer. However, from that point it gets more interesting. When the engine computer detects low oil, it sends a message to the body control computer that the oil is low. The body control computer then sends another message to the instrument cluster to turn the message on to warn you about it. So, since you've done the easy thing already (replacing the switch), everything from here is more complicated, and cannot be diagnosed without a proper scan tool that is able to query these computers and see what they see. Any of those three computers could be in error, or the circuit may have an open, but the only way to know what's going on is to look at the various inputs to the computers.

BotXXXXX XXXXXne: this needs to go to the dealer for diagnosis. There may even be a software fix for it, but only your dealer can diagnose this and pin it down.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
okay correction, it does say low oil pressure, sorry bout that, i have a genesis,and access to a modus, can you please help me with this. it does come on all time which leads me to believe its in the electronics.i keep the oil changed in it at 3000, i do however have sythetic oil in it, could this be a contributing factor? thanks
Ah, I see. This is a horse of a different color.

There are actually TSB's from GM about low oil pressure on these engines, it's a common problem. I'll attach the bulletins and you can read through them, let me know if you have any questions.

Subject:Low Oil Pressure Message/Light - Inspect Valve Lifter Oil Filter
Models:2007 Cadillac Escalade
Built before April 1, 2006 with 6.2L L92 Engine
(These engines were built with AFM Hardware but the AFM system was disabled.)
2009 Buick Lacrosse Super, Allure Super (Canada Only)
2005-2007 Buick Rainier
2010 Chevrolet Camaro SS
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala
2005-2009 Chevrolet Trailblazer
2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
2007-2010 GMC Sierra, Yukon
2005-2009 GMC Envoy
2007-2008 Pontiac Grand Prix
2008-2009 Pontiac G8
2005-2009 Saab 97x
With an AFM (Active Fuel Management) V8 Engine RPO: L76, L94, L99, LC9, LFA, LH6, LMG, LS4, or LY5

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complain of a low oil pressure message/light on the dash and a technician may find a P0521 DTC in the ECM.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If this concern is encountered, follow SI diagnosis. If it indicates that the Tech 2 oil pressure parameter is low but proper oil pressure is present at the oil filter housing, inspect the Valve Lifter Oil Filter for debris/sludge that could be restricting oil flow to the oil pressure sensor before replacing any parts.

Follow the Valve Lifter Oil Filter Removal and Installation Procedure to remove the filter for inspection. If the filter is plugged, it can normally be cleaned with brake/contact cleaner and light shop air. If it cannot be cleaned for some reason, replace it using the part number listed in the parts catalog. Do not replace the complete Valve Lifter Oil Manifold just because the filter is plugged.

#452 - Valve Lifter Oil Filter

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

*************

Subject:Low Oil Pump Pressure due to Seized Oil Pressure Relief Valve
Models:2008-2009 Buick Lacrosse, Allure (Canada Only)
2007-2010 Cadillac CTS-V, Escalade
2007-2010 Chevrolet Avalanche, Corvette, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe
2007-2008 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala SS, Trail Blazer
2009-2010 Chevrolet Colorado
2010 Chevrolet Camaro
2007-2010 GMC Envoy, Sierra, Yukon
2009-2010 GMC Canyon
2008-2010 Hummer H2
2008-2010 H3 Alpha
2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
2008-2010 Pontiac G8 GT
2007-2009 Saab 97x
with the Following Aluminum V8 Engine RPOs:
L76, L77, L92, L94, L99, L9H, LC9, LH6, LH8, LH9, LS2, LS3, LS4, LS7, LS9, LSA, LZ1

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIP4158B.

Condition/Concern:

Some customers may complain of low oil pressure, no oil pressure, and/or engine noise, which may be the result of a sticking oil pump pressure relief valve. In some instances, this may occur intermittently if the valve frees up when the engine cools down.

Recommendation/Instructions:

If SI diagnosis isolates low mechanical oil pressure at the oil filter housing and oil pressure sensor, replace the oil pump, flush the oil cooler lines (if equipped), clean the inside of the oil pan, change the oil and filter, and re-evaluate the concern.

Notice: If an engine noise is noticed after replacing the oil pump, follow the SI diagnosis and repair the engine as necessary.

*****************

These are problems that your GM dealer is familiar with, if the truck is still under powertrain warranty, definitely refer it to your local dealer and see if they'll address it at no charge.

Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician, L1, Master GM Technician. Over 20 years of bumper to bumper GM experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OKAY I UNDERSTAND, DO YOU HAVE THE REMOVAL PROCEDURE FOR THE VALVE LIFTER FILTER , AND CAN U TELL ME WHERE ITS LOCATED. IT APEARS TO ME TO BE UNDER THE INTAKE
It is under the intake. Here is the procedure, broken up into two pieces. It starts with intake manifold removal:

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
    Click here for detailed picture of above image.

Important:

The intake manifold, throttle body, fuel injection rail, and fuel injectors may be removed as an assembly. If not servicing the individual components, remove the manifold as a complete assembly.
    DO NOT use the intake manifold-to-cylinder head gaskets again.
  1. Remove the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) hose - dirty air (716).

2. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  3. Remove the manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor (714) and retainer (736), as required.
  4. Remove the O-ring (715) from the sensor, as required.

5. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  6. Remove the intake manifold bolts (512).
  7. Remove the intake manifold (500) with gaskets.

8. Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH
  9. Remove the intake manifold gaskets (514).
  10. Discard the intake manifold gaskets.

After you've got that off, the AFM oil manifold is sitting right there, here are the instructions for that piece:

Object Number:(NNN) NNN-NNNN Size: SH

Important: Do not allow dirt or debris to enter the oil passages of the manifold. Plug, as required.

1. Remove the oil pressure sensor (706) and washer (707).
  2. Remove the oil filter (452).
  3. Inspect the O-ring (454) for cuts or damage. If the filter is plugged or the O-ring is cut or damaged, replace the filter and O-ring as an assembly.

Jerry Newton, Cadillac Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OKAY WILL ORDER THE PARTS AND GET ON IT WHEN THEY COME THANKS
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thanks will be calling on you in the future