Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

error message theft system problem, car may not start 1995 cadillac deville.

error message "theft system problem, car may not start
1995 cadillac deville.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

Were you receiving this message before the battery was replaced?

Has the key been replaced recently at all?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I cannot say for sure. I just went and got a new battery and installed it. there again after installing the battery it started just a little then died again. Thats when I checked for error messages and thats when I saw this message.

No, no key changes have been made

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You replied

Sunday, August 07, 2011 6:34 PM EST

No, no key changes have been made

Edit
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

The most common component to fail and cause this problem here is usually the ignition key cylinder.This cylinder reads the chip on the key and transmits this message to the theft computer control system.If the key is detected and is the correct code then the vehicle will start.

If the key is the wrong code or if it the computer doesn't see the code at all then it wont start.

Most of the time the two tiny wires at the back of the key cylinder break off and cause this type of fault here.

This would have to be inspected to see if this is what has happened and if so then the cylinder would need replaced.

You can try this key relearn procedure below as in some of these vehicles the key may need relearned.If it doesn't work then the cylinder needs inspected at the back of it and if the wires are broken then the cylinder needs replaced.

- turn the key to the "run position"
- wait 10 minutes
- turn the key to the "off" position
- turn the key to the "run position"
- wait 10 minutes
- turn the key to the "off" position
- turn the key to the "run position"
- wait 10 minutes
- turn the key to the "off" position

Thanks Pete!
Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.