JHoop
JHoop, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

Cadillac CTS I decided to change the timing belt on my 2003

I decided to change the timing belt on my 2003 cadillic CTS with a 3.2 engine. I thought I had read up on how to replace the timing belt on my caddy but one of the cams must have moved and lost the timing mark on it. Now I know that the cam gears have a notch on them and you must aline the mark with a notch on the timing cover at the 12 oclock mark on each of the cams and the crank at 6 oclock but the cam gears have 2 notches in different locations on the cam gears and I can't find any information on which notch to use so I'm stuck. I know that the gears turn clock wise so which one do you use the first one or the second one.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all of the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer any follow-up questions you may have.

Do you have the factory service repair info for that job?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hello JHoop,

My name isXXXXX and to answer your question no I have no factory service repair info just the info I researched on the internet on how to repalce the timing belt and where to place the timing marks for each cam and crank but nothing was said about the 2 marks on each cam gear or which one to use.

Expert:  JHoop replied 3 years ago.
Take a good look at the service info. Where the bolt holds the cam gears there are circles that need to be in the correct position. When the circles are in the correct position the notches will be too.

I uploaded the procedure in .pdf format here to justanswer. You can download it by CLICKING HERE. I hope this helps you.

If you need more help, please ask. If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT. If you have an unlimited plan you will not be billed again yet I won't get credit unless ACCEPT is pressed.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
JHoop, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner