Derek B
Derek B, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  8 yrs exp. Ase certified with gm training and hummer certified
20658699

2000 cadillac sts: park..Shifter just moves back and forth

Customer Question

2000 cadillac sts won't come out of park. Shifter just moves back and forth. Is there a reset?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
Hello and welcome to justanswer.com. My name isXXXXX you say it doesn't come out of park, do you mean it won't roll at all or it just won;t go into another gear like reverse or drive?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Won't go into another gear. I'm thinking its the cable that connects the gear shift knob to the trans, it happens with Caddy's. Your thoughts?
Expert:  Derek B replied 5 years ago.
They can be the gear shifter or the transmission. There should be resistance on the shifter and when you take it out of park it should roll freely. If not the shifter probably is not connected. The cable connect to the transmission under the air tube just to the passenger side of the master cylinder. Have someone look and make it is moving the transmission gear shift lever into the transmission. If it is moving and nothing is happening. You have a internal transmission problem.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pretty vague...now I'm out $2018