Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2004 Cadillac Deville: replacing my radio/cd one

I am replacing my radio/cd player on my 2004 Cadillac Deville. How do I disarm theftlock on the one being removed and arm theftlock on the new one?
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
These newer vehicles require programming with the factory scan tool and software to unlock the radio. This learns the VIN and speaker configuration for the vehicle to the radio for optimum performance. . Long gone are the days of using a code to unlock the radios. An honest shop would charge between 30-50 for this programming.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Cam, but I'm confused. I have a 2004 Deville whose CD player no longer works so I am replacing it with a new radio/cd that I am buying from a secondary market dealer. The radio/cd has Theftlock. I can remove the old one and install the new one, but I don't know if the new one will work because of the Theftlock. So what do I do coach. Thanks, Mike.
The theft lock does not stay with the vehicle it is in the radio, and as I mentioned, the programming learns the VIn of the car to the vehicle.
So the only option is to get it programmed.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Cam, that makes it a lot easier to understand. Two more questions. 1. Can I take it to a Cadillac dealer to program? 2. Can I just leave it alone not programmed? Thanks again.
If the radio works then no programming needed at the moment, and if it does not work then a dealer can program it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Cam: Thanks again for all your help. I think I have it now. Mike
Please reply back if you need additional help or press ACCEPT If my answer was helpful. You can reopen it at any time by replying to it and I will answer ASAP. PLease keep in mind that as experts on this site, we are only compensated for our time spent helping customers once ACCEPT is selected. Thanks again for using Just Answer. Cam.