David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified
19861837

2002 Cadillac deville: ignition switch..the steering column

I have a 2002 Cadillac deville. The key will not turn the ignition switch. I have removed the bottom of the steering column but have no access to remove the ignition. I have disconnected the battery under the rear seat to prevent the airbag from deploying. I need to remove the cover pad from the steering wheel to allow more access but cant really see what tool is needed to accomplish this. Do I need to remove the steering wheel to remove and replace the ignition switch?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
Here is the procedure to remove the air bag module.If you don't have the removal tool you can use 2 small screw driver's instead.Yes you will need to remove the steering wheel to replace the ignition lock cylinder.You need a steering wheel puller to remove the steering wheel.But you can try loosening the steering wheel nut but leave it on finger tight then pull very hard on the steering wheel to release.Leave the nut threaded on loosely if you try this to prevent injury.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I need to know how to remove the center cushion over the airbag module. I have used a mirror but couldn't really see any thing that looked like a screw or star to remove this from the steering wheel. I also need to know how to remove and insert the ignition switch that I have. Thamks.
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.
The center cushion is the air bag module.Here is the replacement procedure.

1. Disconnect the ignition battery.
  2. Remove the knee bolster.
  3. Position the steering wheel half way between the upper and lower tilt stops, if necessary.
  4. Remove the steering wheel.
  5. If equipped remove the manual tilt lever.

6. Object Number: 588300  Size: SH

7. Remove the lower steering column trim cover retaining screws (4).
  8. Disconnect the closeout shroud from the lower steering column trim cover.

9. Object Number: 588304  Size: SH

10. Remove the retaining screw (2) from the upper steering column trim cover.

11. Object Number: 375310  Size: SH

12. Lift the upper steering column trim cover to gain access to the lock cylinder access hole.

13. Object Number: 375316  Size: SH

14. Turn the ignition lock cylinder to the START position.
  15. Using the bent tip awl, push down on the ignition lock cylinder retaining pin.
  16. Release the ignition lock cylinder to the RUN position.

17. Object Number: 375305  Size: SH

18. Remove the ignition lock cylinder from the lock module.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
David,
How do I remove the center cushion where the airbag is. This has a Cadillac emblem on it and it is where the horn is on some cars. It is the cover that covers the airbag. I have used a mirror to see what kind of screw or star hold it own but can't see anything. It looks like there is a crome shaft going through it. I have to remove this before I can remove the steering wheel.
Thanks,
Jim
Expert:  David H replied 3 years ago.

Object Number: 726362  Size: SH
  1. Disable the SIR system.
  2. On the back side of the steering wheel you will find 4 openings for removing the driver inflator module.
  3. Position the steering wheel so that 2 of the opening/holes are on top.
  4. Adjust and install j44298 into two of the holes.
  5. Important: Seat the air bag removal tool all the way to perform properly.

6. Push the handle back towards the I/P, releasing the 2 spring-loaded fasteners at the same time.
  7. Turn the steering wheel and open j44298 . Use one of the tool fingers to remove cruise control lever cover in order to gain access.
  8. Position j44298 and insert the tool into place around the cruise control lever. Repeat the procedure that you used on other two opening/holes.
  9. Pull the driver inflator module gently away from the steering wheel.

10. Object Number: 709895  Size: SH

Important: Note the driver inflator wire routing positions, the redundant control routing positions, and the horn wire routing positions for the correct re-assembly.

11. Remove the connector position assurance (CPA) (4) and the electrical connectors from the driver inflator module.
  12. Remove the horn grounded lead (2) from the threaded hole in the steering wheel.
  13. Rotate the horn contact lead counterclockwise ¼ turn.
  14. Remove the horn contact lead (2) from the steering column cam tower.
  15. Remove the inflatable restraint steering wheel module (5).
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 18 years cadillac dealer.ase master certified.gm master certified