George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ Years

Where is the a/c high pressure switch located on a 1998 Cadillac

Customer Question

Where is the a/c high pressure switch located on a 1998 Cadillac Deville?
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to JustAnswer,

My name is XXXXX XXXXX X am here to try and assist your with your question. It is located just behind the a/c compressor on one of the a/c lines
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I see the low pressure but not the high pressure.
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
The low pressure switch is on the fire wall and the high pressure is by the compressor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I have to get under the car to get to the high pressure switch?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
It will be easier to get to from under the vehicle
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I cannot find the high pressure switch. Do you have a diagram?
Expert:  brownjeff replied 3 years ago.
I do not have one I can send.......I will send your question to the others as maybe they have one to help you
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

Hello, new expert here,

The switch is shown in the diagram below at #8

Click here for diagram

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have replaced the a/c high pressure switch but the compressor keeps doing like it was doing at first, it comes on for about 5 seconds and then it cuts off for about 5 seconds.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

If the compressor is short cycling the pressure is too low or too high. High pressure can be caused by overcharging, the cooling fan not running or a blockage in the system. Low pressure can be caused by a leak or a blockage in the system or a failure to charge enough after evacuation.

Let me know how I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What needs to be done?
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You need to determine if the compressor is short cycling due to high or low pressure then find the cause of the high or low pressure.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How would I find this out? When I have the guage on and the compressor comes on the guage goes to charged and after the compressor cuts off the guage goes back down.
Expert:  George H. replied 3 years ago.

You need a manifold gauge set to see what the pressures are. The can top will not help here. The system should be evacuated and recharged by weight as a starting point so you can see what is really going on. You have no idea of how much refrigerant is in the system so you need professional tools to diagnose this.

I guess your original question about where the high pressure switch was not what you wanted to ask?

George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE Master Tech 15+ Years