Amedee
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
279429

2006 Cadillac SRX: the traction control system..intermittently

Customer Question

my 2006 Cadillac SRX is experiencing sporadic engagement of the traction control system. I went to the dealer many time for this issue, but they could not duplicate it. Last week, I experienced the traction control system engaging intermittently about 7 times. There was not a cloud in the sky and the the road conditions are clean and dry. My tires are in good shape and I maintain the proper air presssure.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Hello!

Are you saying that the ABS kicks in at times? Is this when coming to a stop?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope. Not the ABS. The center display console will show Taction Control System Engaged. I realize that this is suppose to work, but not when it is a clear day, non wet day, on asphalt (no gravel) where there should be no wheel slippage. Again, the issue is intermittent. Last week it happened about 7 times.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
IT will just say this all by itself?

Do you know the code number in the computer?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Nope. I don't know the code on the computer. During my numerous trip to the dealer, I asked for this information. All they could tell me is that the computer did not tell them anything.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Well, there should be a code in the computer. If not, then you might just have a bad computer...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Unforunately, that has not be the case. Here are similar experience of other users on the web. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/178810-srx-traction-control-engagement.html
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
This usually sets a code in the computer. If not, then chances are you might just have a bad wheels speed sensor. THis is very common. tHey go bad and the traction control system will activate when driving down the road. THis is because the computer cannot see the correct wheel speed in all four corners. I would ohm them out. The resistance should be 1150 ohm +/- 300 ohms.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Here's another person experiencing the same issue. http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-first-generation-forum-2004/229901-traction-control-engaged.html

Could you phrase it in a way that I can cut an paste to document to give to a mechanic? Also, if it is not a Bad wheel sensor then what?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
If all of the tires are the same size and brand, then chances are one of the wheel speed signals are dropping out. THis is most likely do to a bad speed sensor or a bad wheel speed sensor harness. The signal will drop out or down and the computer thinks the vehicle is going into a skid or the signal from one wheel will just go down (not out of parameter thus not setting a code) and the computer will see this and the traction light will be illuminated.

I DO hope you found my Answer to be helpful regarding your vehicles condition. IF SO-please hit **ACCEPT** as you read this Answer, in order that I may receive credit for my time, thanks. BONUSES & Positive Feedback Most appreciated!
Please Note: I receive ZERO Credit until & unless you choose to ACCEPT my well thought-out Answer.

REGARDS

AMEDEE
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Actually the tires are staggered. But that's the factory configuration. Is that a factor?
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
If the front and rears are different sizes or if the front or rear tires are worn much more than the other ones, it can cause issues with the traction control system.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The tires are new. But yes they are different sizes, but again, that's the factory config.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
Ok... if this is factory size tires, then this should not be a problem. I would go after the wheel speed sensors and wiring. Just be sure all of the wheels bearings are nice and tight.
Amedee, Cadillac Technician
Experience: ASE Master Technician advanced level specialist. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay thank you.
Expert:  Amedee replied 3 years ago.
You bet!

Have a great day!