Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

2002 Cadillac Deville: keys..Security light keeps flashing

Customer Question

Can't fit the key in the ignition slot. Happened all of a sudden and is same on both of our keys. Neither one of them will go in the key slot?? What would cause that?The car is a 2002 Cadillac Deville, Security light keeps flashing.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

If you are using the correct keys and have tried both keys that have worked before then the fault is in the key cylinder itself.

The cylinder has small tumblers in it that the key pushes and once pushed then it is allowed to rotate.

Since neither key will insert and also the security light is flashing then the cylinder itself needs replaced to correct this condition here.

This should be done by a dealer as the new cylinder may need programmed for the security system to be able to start the vehicle.

In some cases you can spray a little lube like wd 40 or similar in the cylinder and it may allow it to rotate but in most cases the cylinder itself needs replaced.

The cost for this can run around $85.00 for the new cylinder and around $15 each for new keys and about 1.1 hours labor to have replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!