David H
David H, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  18 years cadillac dealer.ase master master certified

Cadillac CTS How do I clear the rear drains on a 2008 CTS

How do I clear the rear drains on a 2008 CTS with a retractable sun roof. I can see the front drains and can snake a wire thru them, but I can't see the rear or get access to them. can I snake a wire from the exit port? if so, where are they? Thanks
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
The rear sunroof drain hoses run from the rear corners of the sunroof down through the rear upper trim sail panels and exit by the inner rear wheel wells.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I already looked in the wheel well, I can't see any exit point on the real wheel well. Where in the wheel well is the exit point? How do you suggest to clear it, with a wire as a snake? Do I need to remove the rear wheel to get access to it? Can I spray a burst of water thru a garden hose or do I need compressed air.

Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
I use compressed air.You will need to remove the inner fender well cover to access the drain tubes.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
How difficult is it to remove the inner fender well cover. Are there special tools I will need, special screws or clips to take off??
Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
There are 6 push type plastic retainers that hold the liner in place.The clips can be removed with any small pry tool.The liner then needs to be maneuvered out with the rear wheels removed for access.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Are those clips going to be reusable once they are removed or will I need to buy new ones.

Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
They are reusable but sometimes do break during removal at which time you will need to replace them.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where can I purchase them in advance?
Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
I would remove one and go to a pep boys type parts store and match the clip up.Also when using compressed air to blow out the lines do not use More than 30psi or so.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Once I blow air up thru the drainage hose, whatever debris is there will fly up back into the rear of the gutter system of the window only to wash back down when water flows back in and washes it back. Because the moonroof doesn't allow me acces to the rear of that gutter system. Any suggestions on how to clear that area so what I blow out doesn't go right back in when it rains?

Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.
Go ahead and use mechanics wire to break up the debris.Then run water over the sunroof to check for proper drainage.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I don't think you understand or maybe I wasn't clear. I'm referring to the rear drains. I'm asssuming these are the ones that drain thru the rear wheel wells. Now when I blow compressed air up into the drainage lines, whatever debris was in there will wind up back in the gutter under the moonroof where it started. How do I clear that gutter area. I don't want it to wash back down the same drain. I can't get to the opening on top because the moonroof is closed over it and I can't even see them (unlike the ones in the front). Do the ones in the front drain out as well thru the wheel well or do they drain thru a different location?. Note, I've layered my questions. Please review them seperately. Thanks If you're inclined, You can call me if you'd like to explain this better over the phone it that's easier. My name is Carl. My cell is XXX-XXX-XXXX.
Expert:  David H replied 5 years ago.

The only way to gain access to the rear drain tubes from the sunroof side is to drop the headliner.Pouring water into the drain trough on the sunroof will be sufficient to clean out the drain tubes once wire is run up through them.Dropping the headliner is a big job.The front drain tubes drain out between the front door hinges.Here is the service procedure from the CTS manual.

Important: If the headliner is wet DO NOT remove any interior trim. Do the Plugged Drain Hose test first.

A drain trough encircles the sunroof window panel and water is drained off by the drain hoses located at each corner of the housing. A drain channel spans across the sunroof module at the rear of the window panel and directs water into the trough.

1. The front drain hoses are routed down the windshield pillars and out the center of the pillar between the door hinges. The front hoses are installed in a rubber grommet and retained by clips.
  2. The rear drain hoses are routed through the rear pillars and out of the rocker panel. In some vehicle the drain hoses are routed out through the metal roof slots and routed to the lower wheelhouse to drain out of the vehicle. The rear hoses are installed in a rubber grommet and retained by clips.

If a water leak has occurred check for a plugged drain hose at each corner of drainage system.

1. Open the sunroof window.
  2. To test for blockage, pour a small container of water into the module housing drain trough. Check each corner to confirm the drain hose is draining water.

Caution: Wear safety glasses in order to avoid eye damage.

3. Use compressed air, 241 kPa (35 psi) or less to blow out any drain hose that is plugged.
  4. Test the system again.
  5. If the hose remains plugged, check to see it is properly routed and does not have a kink..
  6. Remove the blockage using the following steps.
    6.1. Push mechanics wire through the hose to remove the obstruction.
    6.2. Use compressed air in order to blow out any remaining material.