Gm Tech (Cam)
Gm Tech (Cam), Cadillac Mechanic
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

2005 Cadillac STS, Stereo radio with 6 disc CD I swapped

2005 Cadillac STS, Stereo radio with 6 disc CD
I swapped out the radio with one from a salvage yard. I am now getting a THEFT message on the radio. Owners manual states that this happens to deter theft. The radio reads the vehicles VIN # XXXXX will not work if it doesn't match. How can I get this radio to work?
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
These newer vehicles require programming with the factory scan tool and software to unlock the radio. This learns the VIN and speaker configuration for the vehicle to the radio for optimum performance. . Long gone are the days of using a code to unlock the radios. An honest shop would charge between 30-50 for this programming.