Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Cadillac deville dhs: relay..coil..indicator..my 03 deville..traction

Customer Question

C1214= system relay contact or coil circuit open
C1248= EBCM turned red brake warning indicator on

these codes came on my 02 cadillac deville dhs.

I replaced the ebcm with one from my 03 deville and now just the traction controll light is on.

When I pride the good ebcm off i scratched one of the round selinoid things did that do any damage on good ebcm to cause the traction controll light or is there another underlining issue here.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

If you just scratched one of the round components on the ebcm and didn't scuff it to badly or bend or damage it then you should be o.k.

The new or swapped over ebcm needs to be programmed to match your vehicle.This has to be done by a dealer using their computer and their scan tool to do this.

I would check into this first to see if it needs programmed to match your vehicle and see if it solves this issue.Also make sure it was the correct part number that you have installed,if it is the wrong part then this can cause issues as well.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
do all 02 cadillacs ebcm's have to be reprogramed from dealer. I hace a genisys scanner. there were no codes but when I cleared anyway the traction controll light went off but returns when car is restarted
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
According to the info I have yes this needs programmed.Here is what it says if it is not programmed that these conditions can occur any or all of them in some cases:

Inoperative or poorly functioning DRP/ABS/TCS/VSES/VES (if equipped)
Set DTC C1248 EBCM Turned On the Red Brake Warning Indicator
Set DTC C1255m3 EBCM Internal Malfunction

These may or may not occur if it is nor programmed correctly and you may only have the traction issue here since it is already programmed but isnt programmed to your vehicle.

Thanks Pete!
Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I put the good ebcm back in 03 cadillac and now it has traction controll light on. so I must have damaged one of the cylinders. so now do I need to get two ebcm's. And do u think that I might get by having them programmed since the good one probably would have worked if I didint scratch and let the screw driver head pop it from pressure of prying it.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
It may be possible that it is damaged but is hard to say for sure from here.

You can try and have them programmed to see if it corrects the problem but if it was damaged then it may need replaced to correct this problem.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
whats the average cost to be programmed. And why would the good one have a problem now if I didnt damage it
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
It shouldn't have a problem as long as it wasn't damaged severely this all depends on the damage.It may have to be calibrated since it was taken out and reinstalled which has to be done with a dealers scan tool.

A dealer would normally charge about an hours labor to do this.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
my 2007 yukon denali all wheel drive has issue with the electric back hatch opening. you can hear it trying to open but does not. now it is closed shut. only the glass part will open how do i fix this
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I apologize but you will have to open this in a new question in the GMC category for the GMC experts to assist.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bought another ebcm and repalced it along with the peace from behind it disconecting the brake lines. now do I have to bleed brakes

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Yes,anytime a brake line or hydraulic brake component is disconnected like this the entire brake system needs bled to remove any trapped air.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am just going to take the original bad ebcm and send it off to be repaired and put it back on and bleed the brakes do you kn ow where to send it and how do I bleed the brakes after installation. since I will be hopefully using original ebcm do I have to have it reprogrammed.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Unfortunately I don't know of any electronic repair facilities myself that can repair these I have always replaced them when they were faulty.

It shouldn't have to be reprogrammed since it will be the original ebcm but if it acts up when it is installed then you may want to have a dealer check the programming to make sure it is still in the ebcm.This requires their scan tool and GM computer.

To bleed these you will need a scan tool that has function controls.You will have to scroll through the menu in the scan tool under abs/brakes to perform the automated bleed procedure.

This will bleed the air out of the abs hydraulic unit connected to the ebcm and help in bleeding the brakes.

Then you will also need to manually bleed them with a second person.First one person pumps the brake pedal three times and holds the pedal down on the third time and the second person opens the bleed valve on the passenger rear caliper for the fluid to flow out then closes it after a few seconds and repeat 5 or 6 times then move onto the drivers rear,passenger front and drivers front and repeat for each one of these.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ABS CODES WERE C1214 & C1248. HAD EBCM REBULIT. NO CODES NOW JUST THE TRACTION CONTROL LIGHT ON.

this was another question I found but no answer. sounds like same problem I had on the swap I did. now Im thinking of swapping again and taking to dealer to be programmed. what \do u think I should do before I blow a gasket.

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The first step for code C1214 is to disconnect the brake pressure modulator valve pump motor pig tail connector near the ebcm and measure the resistance from each terminal in the BPMV to the body of the hydraulic assembly.It should read open circuit.If it doesn't and if one of the terminals reads a resistance them the hydraulic unit needs replaced.

Code C1248 will set whenever C1214 sets and this is hwy you have code C1248.

Your hydraulic until may be at fault here that is attached to the ebcm and causing these issues as I have had to replace both he hydraulic unit and the ebcm to correct this code before.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
so I should stick with the whole unit Ive put in and have it programmed, brakes bled before I push my nieghboor down for no apparent reason except to blow steam off.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
I recommend the testing first to see if the bpmv is faulty then you would know if this is the part that needs replaced.

Then if it is faulty you can install it and do the automated bleed and manual bleed and have it programmed to your vehicle.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the bpvm is the peace on the back of ebcm correct
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Yes it is the hydraulic unit that the ebcm attach's to with all of the brake lines going into it.It also houses the abs pump.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have both vin numbers to the car in repair and the car the whole sytem came off of. would you be able to tell me if the ebcm I bought is the correct one before I send it to the dealer to be programmed.
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
My system shows different options for the brake hydraulic and ebcm assembly and doesn't have the most current part numbers or the compatible numbers.
The best thing to do here is to contact a dealers parts department and give them the vin numbers and they can look up to see if they are compatible with each other.

Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok thanks bro I will give that a shot

Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Sounds good.

Thanks Pete!