Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
13677702

Cadillac Deville I cant get the rear valve cover gasket off

Customer Question

I cant get the rear valve cover gasket off of the engine of the 1999 cadillace 4.6 northstar. I took the two top motor mounts off and tried to rock the engine forward but something seems to be holding it is there something else i need to lossen or remove to get the valve cover to lift off
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
Hello, My name I Randall. I will do my best to assist you with your question.

Unfortunately, ther are more steps involved, You have to unhook exhaust, then the front of the engine cradle has to be lower some allowing the engine to rock forward
Camshaft Cover Replacement (Right)

Removal Procedure

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Raise the vehicle.
  3. Disconnect the exhaust manifold rear pipe at the converter. Position the converter out of the way.
  4. Lower the vehicle.
  5. Remove the tower-to-tower brace.
  6. Disconnect the four DIS wiring connectors and four mounting bolts.
  7. Remove the DIS and right bank spark plug wires.
  8. Disconnect the PCV Valve.
  9. Remove the purge canister solenoid from the rear of the cover one screw.
  10. Remove the three screws securing the wiring harness to the cover.
  11. Remove the cam cover screws.
  12. Support the front of the engine cradle.
  13. Remove the two mounting screws at the front of the cradle.
  14. Remove the right and left torque nuts.
  15. Lower the engine cradle for (or raise the vehicle) to provide clearance at the rear of the engine compartment.

1. Remove the cam cover.
  2. Discard the cover seal if it is damaged or if it was pulled from the groove in the cover during removal. Reuse the spark plug seals if undamaged.

Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience: ASE Master Tech, 32 years exp,Cadillac 6 yrs
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I am going to pay you for this but I will need more questions answered tomorrow as I do this work. It is getting late here in North Carolina I already have everything took off and the bolts out of the valve cover or i should be saying valve cover Its just that there is not enough room about 1 and a half inches for it to clear the back fire wall to be able to lift it up and off. What I am doing is replacing the 36 valves. I have the front side already done and thought that the back would be easier but I was fooled lol I was also hoping that there was maybe a short cut to make the engine rock just a tad forward but I quess that is not going to be the case. If you do know a trick of the trade for that it would be greatly appreciated. Pretty much about the only thing I really need to do is to take the exhaust manifold loose from the converter and then support the cradle at the front of the engine and then proceed to lift the cover off . I am hoping that I am right. thanks Jack

Look for more questions from me tomorrow morning as I proceed to work on this project Hopefully I can get this done without anymore questions but I am a shade tree mechanic lol.
Expert:  Randall C replied 3 years ago.
You can try? removing thje 2 front cradle bolts, put jack under cradle and lower cradle some withour removing the exhaust,. The exhaust allows it to pivot forward more but may? be able to get away without. We have luxury of a lift so a little easier at times. I am generally on early each AM , then maybe? mid day and then back in early afternoon. I am here to help. LMk if you run into a snag