Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  17 years Cadillac experience as a technician.
14928985

Fuel pressure problem......car has difficulty starting after a fill up

fuel pressure problem......car has difficulty starting after a fill up....must leave gas cap off to start car
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

From what you have described here this sounds like a failure with the evap emission canister or the evap emission vent valve.

If one or both of these are restricted or if the canister is full of fuel it can cause this problem here on your vehicle.

What needs done from here is to have an evap test done by a shop or dealer to see what is at fault and to make sure all vents and lines from the tank are o.k. and none are damaged and or collapsed.

Usually it is the canister at fault that can cause this but it is best to have it tested with a shops evap tester to locate the source of the failure so it can be repaired properly.

This should be tested/repaired soon to prevent any further damage to the evap system components.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

where are these parts located on the engine and are they readily available, and easy to replace....like most people these days, I am unemployed and trying to keep the car running myself. I have replaced the fuel filter and have run several tanks of hi test along with a couple of bottle of injector cleaner through the system for the last 3000 miles.....additionally, the car idles very rough at 800 rpm but as soon as i give it gas, the car runs fine......

Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.
The rough idle can be caused by the tank not venting properly as I have seen before.

The canister is located under the vehicle near the fuel tank and is a large square black plastic box,the vent valve sits near the canister and is allot smaller in shape and will have hoses running to the canister.