Mike Senary
Mike Senary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  10 years in the repair business.
39869430

02 Seville SLS: pulling..Key fob..activates..put key

Customer Question

I tried pulling codes on my '02 Seville SLS and all electric is out on car. Key fob does not work, nothing turns on or activates when I put key in the ignition. Was trying to pull codes per the "how to pull codes" sticky and got lights on the dash and then it displayed "ALL?" Lights on dash kept flashing and then as I tried to push off 3 -4 times they got dimmer and dimmer and now there's no life???

My initial problem was the famed blend door issue where I have cold air on the passenger side and hot air on the driver's side.

What would cause my electric to completely vanish?? Did I reset or lock out my key??? No lights or door chime either when I open the doors.
I also tried disconecting the positive & neg. leads from the battery and touching them together to drain any short term caps but no luck there either.

my email [email protected] if you can help.

Best regards,

Dave
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

2000 & later Cadillac require the use of a bi-directional scan tool.

Disconnecting only clears out computer learns , will not clear any code fault.

JA does not allow Email or Phone #

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This does not answer why the car is "dead". Do you know how I can get the power back?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.

i would start at the battery & see if it will pass a load test .

Look & inspect all electrical connections.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I can not accept this answer, sorry. If I'm talking with an "expert" you should know what happened to my car when I tried to pull the codes and lost power. I would like No Payment Charged on this question. I do not have another question for you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
He did not answer my question with any quantifiable answer. Simply telling me to check the battery and connectors is poor. A REAL Expert would understand what happened by my question and provide me with some clear direction. I tried to pull the codes (per the Cadillac Forum Web Site instructions) and lost all power to my car, 2002 seville sls. How do I get power back?
Expert:  John replied 5 years ago.
you have a good afternoon, another expert will be here to assist you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
Expert did not answer my question. Waiting for another expert I think????
Expert:  Mike Senary replied 5 years ago.
Do you know if the battery is dead? What is the voltage of the battery? I want to eliminate the battery state of charge as the cause for your loss of power. Reading and attempting to clear the codes can drain the battery in a short period of time (10-20 minutes). I need your battery's voltage to know it is not a suspect.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
With terminals unplugged it's at 12 volts. When I connect the battery terminals it goes to 6volts.
The battery is dead. Charge it.
Mike Senary, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: 10 years in the repair business.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Mike - Appreciate your help. Did not have any signs that the battery was getting low. Saw the dash lights dim and go out while trying to pull the codes and thought the worst. You nailed it!!
You are welcome. communication is "key".