Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2002 Deville: the coolant reservoir, does this..blown head gasket

I have a 2002 Deville with 38,000 miles.
There is oil in the coolant reservoir, does this mean a blown head gasket?
Or could it be something else?
The shop I took it to, told me they would have to tear the engine apart to find out.
The quoted me a price for a head gasket repair that is higher than the value of the car.
What should I do, please help.

Thanks,
Lee
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

This would either mean your intake gaskets are leaking or headgaskets are leaking....Your best option is to have some dye added to coolant then run vehicle for awhile. Then pull off intake manifold and look for intake gasket leaks...If you can find some then replacing intake gasket will be fine, if not you will need to replace headgaskets....If you call around you could probably find someone who would do the gaskets for around $2000 which is still alot, but less then the value of the car and alot less then some shops might charge...Let me know if you have questions, thanks.