Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience:  15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.

Cadillac Deville 2000 deville wipers come on and off by themselves

2000 deville wipers come on and off by themselves so does the washer fluid. wipers have now stopped working and washer fluid just came on by self...   We recently replaced the drivers side wiper motor for a different issue, the wash pump motor was not working. The wipers did this on by themself thing last year ...prior to motor replacement and seperate from the washer not working. It just started again months after the wiper motor replacement
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

If you replaced the wiper motor and still have this issue then most likely the wiper switch is at fault and is causing this problem here.I have had to replace both before to correct concerns like this.

The wiper motor should have came with a new control board inside of it that controls the washers and other components in the wiper system.If the new motor assembly corrected this problem temporarily and now the problem is back again then most likely the wiper switch has a short in it and is causing the wiper control unit on the motor to fail and both would need replaced.

If replacing the motor still didn't correct some of the issues that the wiper/washer system had at fault then most likely the switch itself is the only component that needs replaced.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So ed here tells me the switch on the steering column was also replaced at the time the drivers side wiper motor with the control board was replaced , that solved the open, keeping the washer pump from working. Now the intermittant wiper on and washer pump on has started again. The question to consider is why when it randomly comes on do I lose the ability to control with steering column switch> but when it stops I then have control. Ground? I mean we can't keep replacing motors ...this happened last year and went away. What is cooking these controls?
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
O.k.

The washer control unit on the wiper motor receives power from the WSW fuse in the under hood fuse block.

It receives its ground from a body point on the vehicle.Neither of these two if they were faulty would cause this.

The wiper switch in the vehicle has three circuits it feeds signals on to the module on the wiper motor,one for high speed,one for the washer output from the switch to the module on the wiper motor and one signal from the switch for variable speed control and delay.

These three wires need tested when this acts up,these three wires will supply voltage to the wiper module from the switch.

Heres how to test this when it is acting up to locate what is at fault:

If the wipers are running or the pump is running and the switch is off then the purple,gray and dark blue wires shouldn't have any voltage on them from the switch.If they do have voltage then the switch is faulty and needs replaced.

If they do not have voltage and the wipers or pump is running with the switch off then the wiper control unit/module on the wiper motor needs replaced.

This wouldn't be a shorted component here since both have been replaced before.One of these parts has failed again it it has to be tested like this to find out what is at fault.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i think we have a bad rebuilt motor ..... the washer was just doing it again with the switch off ...no one was around car on... last question ...couldn't do test what do u think
Expert:  Pete replied 3 years ago.
The motor/module assembly is the most common to fail and cause this on most of the GM vehicles including this vehicle here so I think you are most likely correct.

The only way to be positive is to have it stripped down to where you can access these wires at the motor assembly to test them when it does act up but most likely you are correct.

Pete, Cadillac Technician
Experience: 15 years Cadillac experience as a technician.