John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE CERTIFICATIONS A1-A8 & L1 / 40 YEARS AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE
6408229

Cadillac Deville On the 1993 Deville how is the instrument

On the 1993 Deville how is the instrument panel by the steering wheel with the "information center" idiot lights removed? How is the instrument panel with the speedo removed? I have a few burnt out idiot lights an illumination lights behind the speedo that need to be replaced. I want to get behind there and change the bulbs.
Category: Cadillac
Expert:  John replied 3 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

Here is info to help you.

Instrument Panel and Pad

Print

REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

CAUTION When performing service around Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system components or wiring, the SIR system must be disabled. Failure to do so could result in possible air bag deployment, personal injury or unneeded SIR system repairs.
1990-93 Deville and Fleetwood

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.
  2. Disable the Supplemental Inflatable Restraint (SIR) system.
  3. Remove the push-on nuts and screws and remove the right, then left sound insulators.
  4. Carefully pry the heating/air conditioning outlets from the upper trim pad.
  5. Remove the upper trim pad retaining screws. One screw is found behind each outlet and 3 screws are accessed through the defroster outlet.
  6. Remove the retaining screws, label and detach the wiring connectors from the switches and light, and remove the glove box module.
  7. Remove 2 screws through the glove box opening.
  8. Detach the in-vehicle temperature sensor wiring connector and aspirator tube.
  9. Remove the solar sensor from the upper trim pad and remove the upper trim pad.
  10. Snap out the upper steering column filler. Remove the retaining screws and remove the lower steering column filler, then the steering column reinforcement plate.
  11. Lower the steering column.
  12. Remove the lower trim pad support.
  13. Remove the nut from the accelerator pedal stud and the screw(s) from the instrument panel end of the instrument panel lower brace. Remove the instrument panel lower brace.
  14. Remove the lower trim pad retaining screws. Label and detach the necessary wiring connectors.
  15. Remove the lower trim pad with the aid of an assistant.
  16. If necessary, disassemble the lower trim pad by removing the following components:
    1. Information centers
    2. Trim plates
    3. Headlamp switch
    4. Fuel data center
    5. Climate control panel
    6. Instrument cluster
    7. Radio

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Instrument panel upper trim pad-Deville and Fleetwood

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Instrument panel steering column reinforcement plate and instrument panel lower brace-Deville and Fleetwood

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Instrument panel lower trim pad-Deville and Fleetwood

1. Ashtray
  2. Warning/reminder chime module
  3. A/C ducts
  4. Instrument panel harness
  5. Knee bolster
  6. Headlamp switch bracket
  7. Instrument panel outer brackets
  8. Side window defogger outlets
  9. Clips and nuts

To install:

1. If necessary, assemble the lower trim pad by installing the following components:
    1. Clips and nuts
    2. Side window defogger outlets
    3. Instrument panel outer brackets
    4. Headlamp switch bracket
    5. Knee bolster
    6. Instrument panel harness
    7. A/C ducts
    8. Warning/reminder chime module
    9. Headlamp switch
    10. Radio
    11. Ashtray
    12. Information centers
    13. Climate control panel
    14. Fuel data center
    15. Instrument cluster
    16. Trim plates

2. Position the lower trim pad in the vehicle with the aid of an assistant.
  3. Attach the wiring connectors and install the retaining screws.
  4. Install the steering column.
  5. Install the steering column reinforcement plate and tighten the screws to 17 inch lbs. (1.9 Nm).
  6. Install the lower steering column filler and tighten the screws to 13 inch lbs. (1.5 Nm). Snap in the upper steering column filler.
  7. Attach the in-vehicle temperature sensor wiring connector and aspirator tube. Install the solar sensor to the upper trim pad.
  8. Position the upper trim pad and install the retaining screws. Install the outlets.
  9. Attach the wiring connectors to the switches and light and position the glove box module. Install the retaining screws.
  10. Install the instrument panel lower brace over the accelerator pedal stud and install the screw at the instrument panel end of the brace. Tighten to 84 inch lbs. (9.5 Nm). Tighten the nut to the accelerator pedal stud to 84 inch lbs. (9.5 Nm).
  11. Install the lower trim pad support.
  12. Install the left, then right sound insulators.
  13. Enable the SIR system.
  14. Connect the negative battery cable.

Eldorado and Seville, and 1994-98 Deville
1990-91 MODELS

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Lower sound insulators-1990-91 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Knee bolster-1990-91 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Instrument panel steering column reinforcement plate-1990-91 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Glove box unit-1990-91 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Glove box fuse panel-1990-91 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Instrument panel-1990-91 Eldorado and Seville

3. Remove the 3 screws and the center sound insulator.
  4. Remove the 3 screws and 2 nuts retaining the right side sound insulator. Remove the courtesy lamp and remove the right side sound insulator.
  5. Remove the 2 screws and the center trim plate.
  6. Remove the 5 screws and the knee bolster.
  7. Remove the 4 screws and the instrument panel steering column reinforcement plate.
  8. Remove the steering column.
  9. Remove the 3 screws and the Climate Control/Driver Information Center.
  10. Remove the instrument cluster.
  11. Remove the front console assembly.
  12. Detach the dash-to-instrument panel interconnect.
  13. Remove the 4 screws and the glove box unit. Pull the fuse panel up from the dash panel.
  14. Label and detach the instrument panel wiring connectors.
  15. Remove the instrument panel reinforcement brace.
  16. Remove the 6 screws retaining the instrument panel. With the aid of an assistant, remove the instrument panel from the vehicle.

To install:

1. With the aid of an assistant, position the instrument panel in the vehicle. Install the retaining screws.
  2. Install the instrument panel reinforcement brace.
  3. Attach the instrument panel wiring connectors.
  4. Push the glove box fuse panel into place in the dash panel. Install the glove box unit with the 4 screws.
  5. Attach the dash-to-instrument panel interconnect.
  6. Install the front console assembly.
  7. Install the instrument cluster.
  8. Install the Climate Control/Driver Information Center with the 3 screws.
  9. Install the steering column.
  10. Install the instrument panel steering column reinforcement plate with the 4 screws.
  11. Install the knee bolster and the center trim panel.
  12. Install the courtesy lamp to the right side sound insulator and install the sound insulator with the nuts and screws.
  13. Install the center sound insulator.
  14. Enable the SIR system.
  15. Connect the negative battery cable.

1992-98 Eldorado and Seville; 1994-98 Deville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Instrument panel upper trim panel-1992-98 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Glove compartment assembly-1992-98 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Sound insulators-1992-98 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Steering column opening bracket and filler trim-1992-98 Eldorado and Seville

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Instrument panel-1992-98 Eldorado and Seville

3. Carefully pry upward, using a small, flat-bladed tool, to remove the defroster grille.
  4. Remove the Sunload and Headlamp Auto Control sensors from the defroster grille.
  5. Working through the defroster grille opening, remove 3 upper trim panel retaining screws.
  6. Remove the heater/air conditioning vents from the front of the instrument panel by releasing the tab on each side from inside the vent and pulling out.
  7. Working through the vent openings, remove 4 upper trim panel retaining screws and remove the upper trim panel.
  8. Remove the instrument cluster.
  9. Remove the right and left A/C vent trim panels.
  10. Open the trap door in the rear of the glove compartment and remove the passenger inflatable restraint wiring connector from the retaining clip on the rear of the glove compartment assembly.
  11. Remove the 4 glove compartment-to-instrument panel retaining screws.
  12. Pull the glove compartment assembly outward enough to access the wiring connectors for the glove compartment switches. Label and detach the wiring connectors.
  13. Remove the glove compartment assembly from the instrument panel.
  14. Remove the retaining screws and courtesy lamps from the right and left sound insulators and remove the sound insulators.
  15. Remove the steering column opening filler trim by grasping at the front and rear edges and pulling downward.
  16. Remove the 4 retaining bolts and the steering column opening bracket.
  17. If equipped with full console, remove the console.
  18. If equipped with mini console, remove the radio.
  19. Remove the headlamp switch module.
  20. Remove the 2 bolts and the hood latch release.
  21. Move the driver's seat to its full rearward position.
  22. Remove the steering column.
  23. Remove the 8 instrument panel retaining screws, detach the wiring connector at each side of the instrument panel, and remove the shims at the lower mounting screws.
  24. Remove the instrument panel with the aid of an assistant.

To install:

1. With the aid of an assistant, position the instrument panel in the vehicle.
  2. Attach the wiring connector at each side of the instrument panel, install the shims and the 8 instrument panel retaining screws.
  3. Install the steering column.
  4. Install the hood latch release with the 2 bolts.
  5. Install the headlamp switch module.
  6. If equipped with mini console, install the radio.
  7. If equipped, install the console.
  8. Install the steering column opening bracket and the steering column opening filler trim.
  9. Install the right and left sound insulators.
  10. Position the glove compartment assembly and attach the wiring connectors to the switches.
  11. Push the glove compartment into place and install the retaining screws.
  12. Place the passenger inflatable restraint wiring connector on the retaining clip on the rear of the glove compartment assembly and close the trap door.
  13. Install the right and left A/C vent trim panels.
  14. Install the instrument cluster.
  15. Position the upper trim panel on top of the instrument panel, making sure the sensors are through the trim panel.
  16. Install the upper trim panel retaining screws through the heater/air conditioning vent openings.
  17. Gently push the heater/air conditioning vents into place.
  18. Install the upper trim panel retaining screws through the defroster grille opening.
  19. Install the Sunload and Headlamp Auto Control sensors to the defroster grille.
  20. Gently push the defroster grille into place.
  21. Enable the SIR system.
  22. Connect the negative battery cable.
John, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE CERTIFICATIONS A1-A8 & L1 / 40 YEARS AUTOMOTIVE EXPERIENCE